Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's the best way to ground a Sattelite system ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to ground a Sattelite system ?

**DONOTDELETE**

What\'s the best way to ground a Sattelite system ?

I would like to install an express vu system myself, but i'm wondering if there is another good way to ground the system besides using a grounding rod, since it is not included in the installation kit.

Any idea ?

tank

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What\'s the best way to ground a Sattelite system ?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tank:
    I would like to install an express vu system myself, but i'm wondering if there is another good way to ground the system besides using a grounding rod, since it is not included in the installation kit.

Any idea ?
    tank
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can buy a SURGE protector, connect the Satellite cable to the protector and connect another cable to your satellite input.
    Very small signal loss.
    The surge protector also protect your telephone line which connected to your receiver too, should there be a lightning struck your telephone pole.

You can see it here: http://www.thebrick.com/pages/CSCTV1...cking_nav=MAIN

[This message has been edited by Xpress 2000 (edited 09-03-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**

I picked up some AWESOME satellite cable from Future Shop about a week ago and it comes with the coax AND a seperate ground wire! It was only $17 or $18 for 50 feet too!

Hook one end to an un-painted piece of metal on your dish and the other to the main ground wire in your house (located wherever your electrical panel is) and voila!

Milky

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xpress 2000:
    You can see it here: http://www.thebrick.com/pages/CSCTV1...cking_nav=MAIN <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at that link. The surge protector protects up to 940 joules. I don't know how many joules lightning is, but it is a lot more than that!! If lightning struck nearby, the surge protector would be useless.

Peter

Edit: Just to clarify, by "nearby", I mean on phone lines near your house.

[This message has been edited by peternm22 (edited 09-04-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peternm22:
    I looked at that link. The surge protector protects up to 940 joules. I don't know how many joules lightning is, but it is a lot more than that!! If lightning struck nearby, the surge protector would be useless.

Peter

Edit: Just to clarify, by "nearby", I mean on phone lines near your house.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 940 joules meant output power.
    You misunderstood.

[This message has been edited by Xpress 1999 (edited 09-04-2001).]

Ok... having recently went through a satellite grounding refresher course I guess I'll respond...

These instructions are based on Canadian standards.

Firstly, there are two ways to ground your system. Number 1 is Internally (affixed to the house), number 2 is Externally (not affixed to the house). Secondly, there are two items (according to standards) to ground, the coaxial cable and the actual dish.

Number 1 ('internal' mount):

Coaxial:
    To ground the coaxial cable you must install a ground block within the cable run and run #14 copper wire (green coated) to a common ground point, for example, metal plumbing, main ground rod, meter box, etc. Do not put in a separate ground ROD unless you plan to bond that rod to the main house ground rod. Not bonding to the main rod is VERY dangerous, much more so than just not grounding. If you will be using a ground rod standards indicate at least a 6' ground rod.

Dish:
    To ground the dish the standards tell us to use #6 (huge!!) ground wire and bond one end to the dish mounting post and the other to the main ground of your house, for example, metal plumbing, main ground rod, meter box, etc.

The reason why I emphasized 'the standard' is because 'the standards' are totally ridiculous in todays world. Why? Read on:
    In order for the dish to be ground some metal portion of the dish must be in contact (or 'bonded') to the post and/or bonding block. This is not possible with today's mini-dishes as the metal 'mesh' of the dish is encased within a nonconducting composite. Therefore the dish is NOT grounded, even if you follow Canadian standards. You would have to drill a hole through the dish and even then you may not be correctly grounded.

The grounding standards are still based on big dish installations and have absolutely nothing to do with composite mini-dishes.

Conclusion: Grounding the dish itself is an illogical exercise.

Number 2 ('external' mount):

Coaxial:
    TWO ground rods minimum 6' each must be placed 3 metres apart and bonded with #6 ground wire. you then place the ground block within the coaxial run and run #14 copper wire (green coated) back to one of the inserted ground rods. Do NOT bond these ground rods to your house main.

Dish:
    #6 ground wire to one of the inserted ground rods, BUT again, read above. It's an illogical exercise.

[This message has been edited by MrVH (edited 09-04-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xpress 1999:
    You misunderstood.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, that may be so. But there IS NO WAY that surge protector could protect against a direct lightning strike on the dish. These surge protectors are not designed for lightning. Grounding the dish is the best way to go.

Although the surge protector can be useful for small surges.

Peter

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xpress 1999:
    You misunderstood.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, no.
    940 joules is the amount of energy it can absorb from a surge & still protect the connected equipment.
    (I have no idea whether it's enough to contain a lightning strike or not - I'm guessing not)

**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a thought, if your dish is struck by lightning, does it really matter if it's grounded or not? I think you would have bigger problems if that happens. I have never grounded my dishes and wouldn't even bother in the area I live in. We don't get rain that often.

I did some research. I found this page: http://www.weatherwise.org/qr/qry.lightningpower.html

It doesn't have anything to do with electronics equipment, but it does state how many joules lightning has.

"The energy input in a typical 3-mile long lightning channel is estimated to be one billion to ten billion joules."

I don't think that surge protector will do much good against that

Peter