Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1080i DVD players

snoman

1080i DVD players

I read a rumour on new DVD players coming out this year that will upscan regular DVDs to 1080i. Is this true or just wishful thinking? I'm going to upgrade my DVD player but I won't just yet if this rumour is true.

Re: 1080i DVD players

I heard this as well. It doesn't really make me want to rush out and upgrade my DVD player. Most HDTVs have a pretty good upconverter already. Unless you have a poor quality DVD player and want to upgrade to a better model it probably won't make a lot of difference. The progressive scan mode on my DVD player is barely distingishable from the interlace mode despite all the hoopla about progressive scan. It's mostly smoke and mirrors until they improve DVDs and that won't happen until consumers demand better quality DVDs or HD-DVDs become available.

snoman

I looked at the Panny 82 and the Harmon Kardon 25 players.
    The Panny was noticeably better. I was going to buy one but if a next gen of players is coming out this year I was going to wait and see.

Samsung is the one coming out with the DVD player that upconverts the signal to 1080i.(Can't remember the model number) It will only do this through the DVI output though.

Cheers,

Sean

snoman

That's OK, I have tv with DVI input anyway.

Grunge

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The progressive scan mode on my DVD player is barely distingishable from the interlace mode despite all the hoopla about progressive scan.

[/ QUOTE ]

The interlacer in your TV must be comparable to you DVD. Normally, on a good DVD player the interlacer will be better than what is in most TV's. However, as you have pointed out, this cannot always be taken for granted. I have an older Toshiba hd-ready TV and a Denon PS DVD and the difference between interlaced and progressive is very noticeable.

I find the biggest problem is with many of the DVDs. I have a Denon PS DVD player as well. Playing some DVDs is like trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse. It just can't be done. My player also has the "interlace bug" or whatever it's called.

Grunge

The "chroma" bug is what you are referring to I believe. Many players have it and IMO it is way overblown. I have done the freeze frames on 5th Element and ToyStory and frankly, I don't think it is a big deal. That's not to say it isn't there, just that it isn't significant enough to bother me compared to other problems that DVD's can offer. One thing I do like about my Denon is that the picture is a tad softer which to me is more film-like and seems to make edge enhancement (another one of those often complained about DVD issues) less of a problem.

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if my Toshiba SD-2109 has the chroma bug or not, but it doesn't seem to bother me while the "red jaggies" on the Star Choice receivers definitely do. I will be shopping for a non-chroma bug DVD player when it's time, though.

I think that almost all the newer DVD players have the chroma bug fixed. It is caused by a small piece of code in the decoding algorithm so it's easy to fix. I haven't seen Denon offer to fix my DVD player, even though they made a big deal about how good the decoder is when they sold it.

I'm waiting for HD-DVD before I upgrade. My current DVD player will easily serve another 5 years or more.