Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What is a simsub? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a simsub?

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What is a simsub?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CSM:
    And then they wonder why Canadians so much like the color grey.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Amen...Way up on that one.

I usually *voluntarily* tune to the Cdn channel when the same program is simultaneously broadcast on a Cdn and US channel. Old politburo-like thinking by the CRTC/CTV, such as forcing non-simultaneous substitution upon us, will indeed turn many grey and merely backfire in regard to achieving their objective.

[This message has been edited by Ski Bunny (edited 12-11-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**

I was all set to get really peaved about this new "non-simultaneous" SIMSUB when I remembered that I ALREADY dropped my subscription to US Nets and Superstations because of simsubbing!

Imagine my relief?

*** RANT ALERT!!! ***

On the "grey" issue. If the government has its way, they plan to change the law in case the Supreme Court rules that Canadians have the right to receive US signals via satellite. This means the grey market will be officially and finally "black".

*The next two paragraphs are laden with sarcasm! *

I just hope they have the guts to go all the way and have the RCMP storm people's homes and chop down their OTA antennas to prevent them from receiving US channels that way.

Actually in the former Soviet Union I think they would "jam" foriegn signals. Maybe this is the way to deal with those pesky OTA US signals without depriving Canadians from getting their Canadian OTA signals. Yes, I believe jamming would be better.

These tactics might wake people up to the type of country we are becoming.

*** RANT OFF ***

Sorry, had to get that off my chest!

Cheers,
    Bruce.

damian

Chuckle, you guys need to get out more. You get so worked up over not being able to watch American commercials.

Do you not see how lame that is.

**DONOTDELETE**

Rant:
    There's more than just American Commercials on the "grey". I for one will never get rid of it. No one will tell me what i can and can't watch in my own bedroom. There will never be satellite police knocking on your door.
    also, i hate when programming is forced down my throat. It's a freaking joke. I live in the free world, NOT Cuba

End Rant:

[This message has been edited by northof60 (edited 12-11-2001).]

damian

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by northof60:
    Rant:
    There's more than just American Commercials on the "grey". I for one will never get rid of it. No one will tell me what i can and can't watch in my own bedroom. There will never be satellite police knocking on your door.
    also, i hate when programming is forced down my throat. It's a freaking joke. I live in the free world, NOT Cuba

End Rant:

[This message has been edited by northof60 (edited 12-11-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a simsub thread not grey. Also, no one is forcing you to watch anything.

**DONOTDELETE**

I usually never have a real problem with simsubs. I never really understood though how forcing me to watch Canadian commercials helped the economy or me any (I don't live anywhere near half these businesses anyways, and I wouldn't be travelling south of the border to spend money in the US if I had the US commercials).

The only time it annoyed me was when Pierre Elliot Trudeau passed away and they had coverage on his life on a dozen or so Canadian channels at the same time (I can't remember which now). Someone somewhere decided for me that I should be seeing the same coverage when I tuned into ABC that day.

I missed Drew Carrey, damn!

The NFL

Since FOX is doing the first game today of the divisional playoffs with the Eagles - Giants, and then CBS the second game with the Chargers - Steelers, will CrapTV hijack the first feed until the end and then cut away from any FOX post-game interviews / show, and go to CBS immediately and catch that game in mid-play?

How does CTV co-ordinate these hijackings so effectively? Does it employ Osama Bin Laden, Sayyed Imam Al-Sharif, Ayman al-Zawahiri, and Sheikh Salman al-Ouda to carry them out?