Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nimiq footprint

**DONOTDELETE**

Nimiq footprint

Was just thinking about what change in footprint will occur when Nimiq1 is moved to 82 degrees. The folks in the US maybe negatively impacted by the change. Telesat for some reason has not released the footprint for Nimiq2 either.

Arthur

Re: Nimiq footprint

Why???? would they change it???

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Why???? would they change it???

<hr></blockquote>
    Moving the satellite will change the footprint. If they move the satellite.

AFAIK, Nimiq2's footprint should be identical to Nimiq's since it's taking over its parking spot. Changes in Nimiq's contour map at its new slot should be minimal as there's quite a bit of spillover into the US already. There would need to be a major change in position to affect it.

BTW, I've never seen an official Telesat footprint map for Nimiq @ 91 so I wouldn't hold my breath for a footprint map for Nimiq @ 82

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know anything about satellite physiscs, but I doubt 82 degrees will have a footprint with any drastic different from 91.

But, like I said, I don't know this area. The way I think is, both satellites have to serve the entire country (with the exception to TMN and MC [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) so the footprints have to cover the same area.

It's like comparing it to the Echostar gang. I still receive them up here in the centre of the Universe (kidding!) even though they are in a different position in the sky.

Speaking of which, by law, the Americans shouldn't be receiving the signals in the first place (wink wink).

**DONOTDELETE**

There will definitely be a slight change in the footprint of N1 when it moves to 82 degrees because even at 91 degrees the signal over the Northern parts of Canada is weaker when compared to F1. If you are living in Toronto there is no real difference between receiving 82 or 91 but in the Yukon it makes a big difference because as you move North the look angles are impacted negatively. The only way out would be to increase the EIRP level over Northern Canada which will affect the folks down in the US by causing a decline in their signal.

So how far North &amp; South do you have to go before you see a difference? Will I a differnce here in Ottawa?

PEACE UP TOM [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

Nimiq 91 is moving? I thought the new satellite would be moving.

No. Nimiq 2 will be taking over Nimiq 1's slot at 91. Nimiq then moves to 82 degrees.

Question: What the "official" name for the satellite that Bell is using. Telesat refers to it as "Nimiq" and not "Nimiq 1". Has it been renamed?

**DONOTDELETE**

I think Nimiq 1 is just a name we used for this thread to refer to the present Nimiq in the sky. I've always 'Nimiq 2' to refer to the new one.