Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
when to get BEV
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to get BEV

**DONOTDELETE**

when to get BEV

Hi,
    I'm new here (and to the satellite world). I was reading through the messages and found some about Bell changing the dishes to accomodate a new satellite they'll be using.

I was planning on getting BEV in July but should I wait until the new dishes come out to save on the hassle?

mikealex

Re: when to get BEV

Well, nobody really knows when the new dishes will be out. Likely not until sometime next year. Personally, I wouldn't wait. If you get a 20"+ dish, instead of the 18", you may not need to change the dish, just the LNB.

Definately do NOT wait. The new satellite, and hence the possible need for a new dish, won't be up and running until sometime in 2003 at the earliest. Given past practices in the industry, it's likely (a) lower volume channels (such as French & HDTV) will be moved to a new satellite position, meaning most users - perhpas even yourself - won't need access to this second satellite; and (b) those that do need a new dish may get it free.

In satellite, as with many consumer electronics, there's always something "just around the corner". For me, unless it's 95% certain it's less than 2 months away, I never wait for what may take years to come.

Noel

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I was planning on getting BEV in July but should I wait until the new dishes come out to save on the hassle?

<hr></blockquote>
    Why wait until July. Join the party now!
    I also second (or third) the previous comments, if the technology meets your needs/requirements today, go for it. Otherwise you might wait forever.
    I guarantee that technology will change after you buy it. If you wait until it changes, then buy it, it will change again.

**DONOTDELETE**

would I have the option to buy the larger dish?

**DONOTDELETE**

Dear god man , don't hold off !!! Heaven only knows what an entry level package will cost you by then at Bell ! I can see them having the minimum sub level up at 30 by Fall .

mikealex

Do you mean now, or when they get their 2nd bird flying?

I'm sure they will have a way for current subscribers to get a larger dish if needed when the 2nd bird is up.

If you mean now, I'm sure you can, but you may have to wait for a store to order one for you. Also, last time I was in Costco, their packages all had a larger dish.

**DONOTDELETE**

There is really no point in getting a larger dish except if you want a stronger signal...both the current 18" and 24" dishes sold by expressvu lack skew adjustment needed for dual satellite reception.

**DONOTDELETE**

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the current 18" and 24" dishes sold by expressvu lack skew adjustment needed for dual satellite reception

<hr></blockquote>

...WOW!....Who is going to eat the cost of over a million dish upgrades?

......Is it gonna be like *Choice.....If U have a round dish &amp; U want to get into HD....pay for the E-dish yourself?.....

BTW....I'm not really impressed with this...*Choice shoud offer the HDD201+E-Dish as a combo for us round dish subs. JMO

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm waiting for the day Bell decides to offer everything in a bundle. I have a Bell Mobility cellhone, Bell phone line, Bell Sympatico, and soon a BEV dish. I don't really care to have some savings with long distance, which is the case now. I'd rather have a lower bill in the long run.

A bundle may appear in the future as my cousin works for one of the bell monopolies-- I mean, departments, and she told me the employees recently had a contest to come up with a name for such a future bundle (but she wasn't told what the bundle would contain).

I really hope the basic subscription doesn't jump to $30. Actually, isn't it $40? I mean, who's really gonna have the minnimum $20? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]