Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16:9 Owners, how do you watch 4:3 programming?

Re: 16:9 Owners, how do you watch 4:3 programming?

I use the Bev6000 in 1080i mode, so unless I'm watching something off basic cable (rare) I use 4:3 mode with gray bars on the side on the Toshiba TV and 4:3 mode with black sides on the LCD projector.

I find the 6000's "stretch" mode to be a more uniform stretch than the TheatreWide 1 mode on the Toshiba, which means that faces tend to look unnaturally fat.

Eric-

Beware of burn in if you are watching with grey bars. I know a fellow locally who had to replace all three guns on a TW40X81 in less than a year. That's not covered by warrenty.

Mike

Hmmm, I'm using grey bars to avoid burn-in, or at least, to get uniform burn-in over the entire tube surface. This is on a 34" Toshiba tube (CW34XC2), not a RPTV in case that matters.

Eric

The problem occurs most often in RPTV's. But you might want to put up an all white screen to see if there are any noticable patterns visible. If so, needless to say, I'd suggest ditching the grey bars and using one of the widescreen modes.

Mike

mikealex

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Hmmm, I'm using grey bars to avoid burn-in, or at least, to get uniform burn-in over the entire tube surface. This is on a 34" Toshiba tube (CW34XC2), not a RPTV in case that matters.

<hr></blockquote>
    If you prefer to watch 4x3 content with bars on the side, than neutral grey is the best colour to choose. But, that doesn't mean that it won't burn in, it will just burn in at a rate somewhat close to the rest of the screen. If you use black, then you will eventually end up with the sides being brighter than the rest of the screen, because they will not have burned in as much. White would be the opposite problem - the sides would burn in faster than the rest of the screen, so you would have dark sides.

Your best bet is to pick one of the widescreen modes that fills the screen, either by stretching the picture, or by cropping the top and bottom, or some combination of those two. This will ensure the most even burn in rate across the entire screen.

Personally, I set mine up to crop the bottom, just because it gets rid of most of the bugs the stations are now putting in the bottom right corner of the screen. The really bright bugs some of the stations are using will also cause uneven screen burn in.