Thread: Snowbird Florida Reception Shaw/Bell

Snowbird Florida Reception Shaw/Bell

My snowbird neighbor is moving from BellTV satellite to Shaw Direct because, he says, Bell will no longer have sufficient signal strength south of the New York/Pensylvania border.

According to Shaw, they will have a new satellite Anik G1 in service November.

Why is Bell cutting off their Florida customers?
    Will Shaw be a good choice for Florida snowbirds?

Ross if you look around the Net for "Nimiq 6" you'll see all about the new satellite. Its just like the 82 sat that BEV already has that doesnt get to much of the U.S. Or actually even less I think. Well you cant blame them for wanting to make things better for their CDN subscribers since their a CDN company. :-)

Nobody whose talking knows for sure about G1 but people seem to think that Shaw will put new channels there not the ones we get in the U.S. now. Who knows for sure but we decided to get Shaw so were hoping it's true! Even if we lose a few channels as long as we can get most of the ones we want it will be worth it.

This Telesat document (http://www.telesat.com/sites/default...etteremail.pdf) clearly shows that G1's footprint will only extend a few hundred miles south of the Canadian border.

Canadian Birds for Canadians about time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimiq 1 View Post
    Canadian Birds for Canadians about time too.
    If reducing signal strength to south of the border customers will benefit Canadian customers that is fine. If there is no benefit to Cdn subscribers, forcing US residents to subscribe to US providers at the expense of Canadian suppliers for no good reason doesn't make $ense.

You can and should thank the CRTC, they are the ones who stop Bell from selling the TV services in the US of A.

Our snowbird neighbors switched from BellTV to ShawDirect because they heard that Bell was dropping their signal strength to their Florida winter retreat.

Another reason was that SD will allow subscribers to stop paying while they are on vacation, but not so with BellTV.

Maybe 1 out of 2 reasons is enough for them to switch.

I was sure that you can suspend your service with Bell TV, they of course now charge for the privilege of NOT having TV but I think it is still an option. If you Rent your Receivers from Bell, you still have to pay the full Rental Charge I believe.

http://support.bell.ca/TV/Channels/H...TV_programming

$15 if you call-in and need the help of a CSR
    $10 if you do it online

Quote Originally Posted by bayguy View Post
    Ross if you look around the Net for "Nimiq 6" you'll see all about the new satellite. Its just like the 82 sat that BEV already has that doesnt get to much of the U.S. Or actually even less I think. Well you cant blame them for wanting to make things better for their CDN subscribers since their a CDN company. :-)

Nobody whose talking knows for sure about G1 but people seem to think that Shaw will put new channels there not the ones we get in the U.S. now. Who knows for sure but we decided to get Shaw so were hoping it's true! Even if we lose a few channels as long as we can get most of the ones we want it will be worth it.
    I read somewhere that the Nimiq 6 will allow the use of an 18" dish rather than the 30" now necessary in the Yukon and NWT-so the signal below 40 deg n. lat. appears to be spotty...