Thread: LG 42LV5400 120Hz LED review

LG 42LV5400 120Hz LED review

Not a fan of LG products but after reading other reviews I decided to try it out so I picked one of these up a few weeks ago, this tv has by far the best PQ I've seen yet once it's properly set up. I originally bought it for the 5th wheel but now am thinking of retiring the 42 inch Viera to the sun room and bringing this one home. Bluray looks razor sharp and almost 3D and even some DVDs look as good or better than any HD satellite feed on Bell tv which look pretty darn good on this set. If you have a 24fps capable bluray player hooked up to this tv, motion stutter is virtually non existent. Even my wife who isn't easily impressed when it comes to home theatre keeps commenting on the picture quality. As for the Smart TV features LG seems busy with new updates improving the functionality of the apps, the wifi dongle is included with the tv and works as advertised. I was able to easily stream movies from my laptop via the router when I tested the set at home before taking it to the campground. Nero Media Home Essentials comes bundled with the set for installation on your PC. The tv itself is Plex Media Server ready which is a web browser based server and either one will work with the tv. I have yet to test it with Linux but plan to soon. Overall I'm very impressed with this television and wouldn't hesitate to buy a bigger model for my house. LG has made me a convert.
    Shaw Direct
    Roku 3 with US Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus.

I have had nothing but problems with both LG & Sony products. Glad to hear you beat the LG curse. I don't think I'm willing to try my luck with either brand again though.
    [img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/gizmotimetempbig_both/language/www/global/stations/71265.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    Not a fan of LG products..

I was able to easily stream movies from my laptop via the router when I tested the set at home before taking it to the campground...

Holy crap Sno, you're taking an LCD TV when you go camping?? I don't have the same definition of "roughing it"

Thanks for the info about the LG, I need to buy another 50" tv for the HT room, my kids are putting way too many hours on my projector's lamp when playing Halo!!

I bought the extended warranty just in case. Refundable if it doesn't get used. My curse is with Sony products minus the PS3, the only Sony product that hasn't failed me yet. No more Sony for me. This coming from a former fanboy. Time will tell how the new tv holds up. Camping in a 5th sure is tough, especially when the ice maker in the fridge runs out.
    Shaw Direct
    Roku 3 with US Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus.