Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Telus Optik TV
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telus Optik TV

Hybrid View

Telus Optik TV

I have Optik TV installed this afternoon. Telus is definitely not a sharp as Shaw Direct nor are the colors as rich. I have both so can flip back and forth. From what I remember it is also not as good as Shaw Cable which I had in the past. Comparison done on the Pioneer Elite 141FD Monitor using Harmony Technology Component Cables. I also tried 720p and 1080i. It is similar to watching Blu-ray vs. DVD.

One positive is that like Shaw Direct they do not appear to simsub. Survivor is on Global and Kiro ... when I tuned to Kiro I got Survivor from Kiro not Global. As you know Bell TV does simsub.

By the way, if you do not already know, they will soon be going from 15mbps to 24mpbs. They are currently doing the installations around the city. The tech installed a separate modem, even though the router has a modem built in ... this is to accomodate the higher bit rate.
    Star Choice/Bell ExpressVu/Telus
    Kuro ... seeing like never before!

Bob

By the way, Telus has the same annoying policy as most other providers - in order to get the HD channels you have to order the equivalent SD channels first. So, for example to get the Eastern HD Networks ($5) I have subscribe also to the Eastern SD Networks ($7). So, I have to get something I will never watch in order to get something I will watch!!! I just wish the SD channels would go away!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by HiDefBob View Post
    By the way, Telus has the same annoying policy as most other providers - in order to get the HD channels you have to order the equivalent SD channels first. So, for example to get the Eastern HD Networks ($5) I have subscribe also to the Eastern SD Networks ($7). So, I have to get something I will never watch in order to get something I will watch!!! I just wish the SD channels would go away!
    I find this annoying too. Entertainment Extra HD costs $12 for two channels with ads -- one with heavily edited content. For a few dollars more, you can get Super Channel or Movie Central.

At least the Hi-Fi channels are only $5 for all four.

Do you have the Eastern HD networks? If so, how is the picture quality on them? Do they have Bell simsubs?

They have the best interactive programming guide compared to Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct and Bell TV. However, they have the clumsiest procedure for creating and adding favorites! It sucks!

Bob

This morning I spoke to the Telus technician who installed my Optik TV yesterday. He said that the PQ would improve when they upgrade to 24 mbps. I hope so!

Bob

Due to a couple of posts on another forum raving about the HD quality of Telus Optik, I decided to do some cable checking. I replaced the cable from the modem to the PVR and swapped component cables with the ones connected to my Bell TV PVR (even though they are exactly the same brand, type and length). The result I have a picture now approaching that of Shaw Direct. The veil over the picture is now gone ... the picture is sharper and the colors more vibrant. It is about equal to Bell TV (satellite), but slightly lower quaility to what I am getting from Shaw Direct (satellite). So, somewhere in the cabling the picture was being severely downgraded. I am now satisfied with Telus' HD PQ.

Sorry, for the knock on Telus Optik. The tech seemed satisfied with the quality, but after he left and I had a chance to critically check it out I was not. All I got from the tech when I called was to "be patient".

Bob

does the telus optic hdpvr or hdreceiver have an SD coax out that you can run to another SD tv?

seems there is...

thanks dede

So I looked into switching to Telus (refer to rant on Shaw Direct). I had an online chat with a Telus rep and it seems that with their medium bundle, you can only swap out one theme pack and with the large bundle, you can swap out a couple more but you can't swap out any ones you want, just ones they designate. For example, I would be stuck with Sports as she said that is one theme pack which can't be swapped out. I don't like this at all and what is the reasoning for this? Makes no sense and I'm sure it has nothing to do with the technology. You should be able to always get more choice, not less.