Thread: VirtualBox OSE

VirtualBox OSE

Anyone here try it? Pretty slick way to run a half dozen operating systems on one machine.

I've used it a couple of times to run Linux on a Windows system. It works best with a 64 bit host OS and lots of RAM but will run on a 32 bit host. I would use it the other way around (Windows on Linux) but hardware emulation is far from 100% effective, especially for video. The emulator MS supplies for Win7 Pro is very similar in capabilities.
    --Robert

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 as host and Dos 6.22, Windows 3.1, XP Pro because I can.
    Vista is giving me installation grief as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    Anyone here try it? Pretty slick way to run a half dozen operating systems on one machine.
    Yup. I use in on my Mac to run Windows 2000 to run Ufile. I also use it to experiment with various Linux distos.
    It's probably not as polished as VMWare, but you can't beat the price.
    I would recommend having at least 2GB of RAM so that you can allocate enough to the VMs and not 'starve' your host machine.
    Form[B][COLOR="Red"]ER[/COLOR][/B] Bell customer.

Why not just use Ufile.ca instead ?

Kryspy
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700

Quote Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post
    Why not just use Ufile.ca instead ?

Kryspy
    One of these days, I may have to. But for now, it's one less server with my personal information on it.

I already have 2 gigs of RAM. I tried my legit copy of Vista that came with the laptop and I get error messages and it stops installing. I tried an uncracked ISO off a torrent site and still the same problem so it's not my disc. Vista seems to refuse installation if it can't sniff out every bit of hardware on my laptop it seems. It stops installing at around 86% and then I either get a corrupt file error or something about not finding some locale, whatever that is. Then it uninstalls itself and returns me to the installation menu. I'm assuming it doesn't like not having network access for activation purposes. I've never had problems installing Vista before when it's the primary OS.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    I already have 2 gigs of RAM. I tried my legit copy of Vista that came with the laptop and I get error messages and it stops installing.
    I never had Vista but I was able to install the release candidate of Windows 7 under virtualbox. It worked ok, as much as I did with it. The only thing that I tried and could not do was the performance test. That would crap out.