Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 unable to administer via VNC and GUI

Ubuntu 10.04 unable to administer via VNC and GUI

Well,

I ventured back to Linux-world for my server needs as I thought a box running a *cough* borrowed version of Windows 7 was overkill and I am back using XBMC for my media needs.

A problem has arose. Apparently I cannot utilize VNC from my client PC to access my server running 10.04. I've read something to the effect that GDM or X doesn't start when a monitor isn't present and therefore spits out the connection closed error. If I drag the box upstairs and hook it up to a monitor I can VNC no problem.

Any ideas that doesn't involve me having to get a degree in astrophysics? I am holding out for Open Media Vault to be released. freeNAS is an option but the samba network speeds of BSD are awful.

Kryspy
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700

My second last post. Have you installed vnc4server? That is what I see is needed when there is no monitor.

This could be my second last post and I wanted to say something useful.

Hmm,

No I haven't but I suppose I can give that a shot.

Kryspy

edit: was already installed
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700

Is the VNC server running? I find that the VNC implementations vary between distros. On some it is necessary to log in. On others it is necessary to telnet in and run vncserver from the command line. On others it just works once the service is enabled and configured. Haven't quite figured out all the details but there are some things to try.
    --Robert