Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Codecs for XP and DVDs ?

Apple and other unnamed entities are getting ready to start a patent war over video codecs and open source software.

Steve Jobs: mystery patent pool to attack Ogg Theora

"May I remind you that H.264 is not an open standard?" Roy wrote in a missive also posted to the web. "This video codec is covered by patents...This is why Mozilla Firefox and Opera have not adopted this video codec for their HTML5 implementation, and decided to choose Theora as a sustainable and open alternative."

It is believed that Microsoft is one of them as they have patents in H.264 and want to get you to pay for everything yet don't include basic codecs for playing a DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSat View Post

It is believed that Microsoft is one of them as they have patents in H.264 and want to get you to pay for everything yet don't include basic codecs for playing a DVD.
    But what I don't understand is all my PCs (1 laptop and 2 desktops) with Win 7 will let you play DVDs out-of-the-box, i.e without having to go hunting for codecs like XP. Why would they include them now?

Media Center is now included with Win7 Home Premium. MS would look very silly if it couldn't play DVDs. Win7 even has an H.264 codec, which is difficult to find outside commercial software. XP Home was not advertised as having a media center but had a separate MCE edition.
    --Robert

H.264 is partly owned by Microsoft. This is why they are trying to push it. The licensing issue is scary as there are suspicions that it could follow the GIF licence and be used heavily and the licence holders all of a sudden start asking for per item fees.