Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your anti-virus work?

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    Windows XP is wide open, it's probably the most insecure 32 bit OS ever sold
    <snip>
    UAC is just a hack to cover up a basically insecure system.
    I don't know very much about how they've hardened Vista/7 over XP but I hope it's an improvement.

In what way is UAC a hack? I know that it can be turned off, but you can do that on just about any OS.

Unfortunately many user are willing to sacrifice security for convenience.
    Form[B][COLOR="Red"]ER[/COLOR][/B] Bell customer.

You guys sure all talk about Windows7 with a lot of authority for, I would guess from your constant highly rated Linux touting, rarely actually EVER using it.

[U][IMG]http://www.meyeuniverse.com/otherimages/canucks2009signature1.jpg[/IMG]
    [/U]

Quote Originally Posted by MrVH View Post
    You guys sure all talk about Windows7 with a lot of authority for, I would guess from your constant highly rated Linux touting, rarely actually EVER using it..
    I make no authoritative claims about Windows 7 as I have never used it.

Given Microsoft's woeful track record, I have little interest in trying it.

If it makes you happy, I was forced to purchase a W7-Pro license with my new Lenovo Thinkpad.
    I don't plan on using Windows and will just pass it on to someone else when I sell the computer in a few years. But I'm thrilled that Microsoft has gotten more money out of me for a product that I don't want.

So no, I have no authority to talk about Windows 7 specifically but I have no problem criticizing its maker, with good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jconnor View Post
    Good for Microsoft, and it has taken them how long?
    But it didn't last long. Maybe third time lucky?

Microsoft to fix IE8 cross-site scripting problem, again

Quote Originally Posted by MrVH View Post
    You guys sure all talk about Windows7 with a lot of authority for, I would guess from your constant highly rated Linux touting, rarely actually EVER using it.
    I've used Win7 on and off since beta and full time since its release.
    --Robert

I wonder how all the McAfee users are feeling after the headache this week?

One of the comments that I read was from one company that stated they were happy that they didn't have all their machines using McAfee.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSat View Post
    I wonder how all the McAfee users are feeling after the headache this week?
    Ouch. I was never a McAfee fan when I did use Windows (many, many moons ago) but not testing XP SP3? What were they thinking?

dishguy
    Toasted it on my daughters computer and loaded AVG free.
    Never had a problem with it but I am more comfortable with AVG and it just works (and is free)

Quote Originally Posted by dishguy View Post
    Toasted it on my daughters computer and loaded AVG free.
    Never had a problem with it but I am more comfortable with AVG and it just works (and is free)
    I used to run AVG and it seemed ok. But McAfee was always such a pig. I guess some things never change.

I'm glad that I don't need to run anti virus on my Macs or Linux boxes. I hope that doesn't change.

I thought I would try Clamav on my Linux box for those Windows files that I get for friends. Just to be safe.

It was fast and easy to run. Now to find a virus to test it on.