Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Words for O Canada .....

New Words for O Canada .....

Lord tunderin' jeezus bey....................

The powers that be are looking into the 'gender neutrality' of our nations anthem. Good for the women, they garnered the most medals but it looks like some activist isn't happy with "In all thy sons command".

How about "In all thy off-springs comand" or In all the fruit of our loins command".

Hey, there's some great talent here. Let's hear what you think that line could be changed to.

I don't suppose there is anything else in this world more pressing than that line in our anthem must be addressed forthwith !

How's that line go ...." Never believe in conspiracy when simple stupidity will suffice".

Quote Originally Posted by usbhubman View Post

The powers that be are looking into the 'gender neutrality' of our nations anthem. Good for the women, they garnered the most medals but it looks like some activist isn't happy with "In all thy sons command".

How about "In all thy off-springs comand" or In all the fruit of our loins command".

Hey, there's some great talent here. Let's hear what you think that line could be changed to.

I don't suppose there is anything else in this world more pressing than that line in our anthem must be addressed forthwith !

How's that line go ...." Never believe in conspiracy when simple stupidity will suffice".
    Wait til they notice the original French version translates to "As in thy arm ready to wield the sword, So also is it ready to carry the cross."

Though in this case, the sons was not in the original English lyrics and was added in 1914. In 1908 the line was "True patriot love thou dost in us command."

But considering the song has been around and unchanged since 1920, they should leave it alone.

note, why does the English version always get mucked around with when the orignial French has remained unchanged since 1880.

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin0 View Post
    .. snip .. snip ..
    But considering the song has been around and unchanged since 1920, they should leave it alone.
    I thought they already changed it in the 70's .. around Trudeau's time. It ain't the same song I remember plodding through at assembly when I was a yungin' when coke was a nickel and they closed the swimming pools in the summer 'cuz of polio.

p.s. Thought so ... just checked on Wikipedia

"Official changes to the English version were recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The National Anthem Act of 1980 added a religious reference to the English lyrics and the phrase "From far and wide, O Canada" to replace one of the somewhat tedious repetitions of the phrase "We stand on guard." This change was controversial with traditionalists, and for several years afterwards it was not uncommon to hear people (some by choice, some by memory reflex) still singing the old lyrics at public events" ...

Unhappy

STUPID CONCERATIVES!!

Why don't they just leave everything alone?

But NOOOO (say carcasticvly)

They have to go and mess everything up.

What a bunch of Dorky duffeses moronic moron Goro's!!

Idits!!
    http://greyhoundhistory.com/slide/7/advertising/553/2000-present-image-3

Quote Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
    STUPID CONCERATIVES!!

Why don't they just leave everything alone?

But NOOOO (say carcasticvly)

They have to go and mess everything up.

What a bunch of Dorky duffeses moronic moron Goro's!!

Idits!!
    LOL

Maybe the Conservatives are just trying to take our minds off of the economic troubles of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by usbhubman View Post
    Form[B][COLOR="Red"]ER[/COLOR][/B] Bell customer.

IMO, As big of a deal as 'Our Home is Girt by Sea' from Advance Australia Fair. Not that much of one, in other words.

Tories backpedal on anthem change

Seems like the public pressure forced the government to give up on the idea of changing the words to our national anthem. Democracy worked fast on this issue.

"So, Canada, that plan to tweak the national anthem is dead.

After facing a blitzkrieg of backlash to a minor Throne Speech afterthought, which proposed a single line change to eliminate a gender reference in the anthem’s lyrics, a senior cabinet minister confided to me yesterday the notion was to be quickly and quietly shelved, never to see the light of actual committee study."

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...em-change.aspx

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...#ixzz0hMVufHao

Why is it even an issue? Are the feminazis up in arms over this or what?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    Why is it even an issue? Are the feminazis up in arms over this or what?
    I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but if so then shouldn't everything with eithe "sons" or "Man" like ie Manhole? Manhatten? etc be changed, even the word 'Feminists' would be considered Sexual disgriminating against men. No?

Also any refrence to Female aspects of words should be changed as thats sexiests against Men. No?

What ever the case maybe I'm just glad they left it alone.
    http://greyhoundhistory.com/slide/7/advertising/553/2000-present-image-3