Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Panasonic Plasma TV problems.

Thread: Panasonic Plasma TV problems.

Hybrid View

Panasonic Plasma TV problems.

I came across this article and I thought I would share it with you. Hope this isn't happening to anyone. It would make me think twice about purchasing a Panasonic at this time.

Panasonic admits plasma TV black level change but says picture quality still 'excellent'

In response to complaints reporting a loss in black level performance in its plasma TVs over time, Panasonic has issued a statement.

It admitted that "background brightness will increase," but described the change as "automatic" over the TVs' lifespan and part of normal operation in order to "achieve the optimal picture performance throughout the life of the set."

It also said that newer plasma TVs will include a "more gradual change in Black Level over time," but made no mention of a fix for existing plasma TVs, whose owners first noted the issue at enthusiast Web site AVS forum.

Black levels and static contrast are two reasons why I don't like LCD TV's.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSat View Post
    snip .. snip ...
    Black levels and static contrast are two reasons why I don't like LCD TV's.
    I saw a 46" Samsung LCD in my dentists office the other day. One of the soaps was on and the background was black. I mean, piano black ... it was hard to see where the screen ended and the bezel started. I was impressed to say the least!

I've always been a plasma fan just because of the blacks. My first set, which daughter now has was a 42" Panny and I now have a 58" Samsung and this new LCD put my Samsung to shame for blacks. Admittedly the Panny always was better in that department but after much research I believe the Samsung 58" has the finest colours imaginable. The next TV will be an LCD tho', my set eats up $20 easy every two months in power - on for 2 to 5 hours a day.

I'm lovin' the LED DLP Samsung set in the basement. Blacks are as good as the ones on the Panny Viera plasma in the living room.

Talking

I have a panasonic plasma 50'', had it about a 18 months now, no problems.
    but I do have an extended warranty and live next to my authorised panasonic service centre!

Thumbs up

"Since the TVs work as designed, there's nothing to fix."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...html?tag=mncol

Sad.

I just bought a Panasonic 50" G20. I can't believe the difference over my 5 year old Toshiba DLP. The THX colour setting is near perfect. Blacks are really black. My old DLP has more grey than black. I was afraid that in a somewhat bright room there would be an issue with screen glare, but no problem so far. I need a Panny usb wireless internet device and i'm all set.

I've been salivating at all the new sets I'm seeing on display.

Incredible depth to the images... Yes, I'm comparing to a 9 year old HDTV set now in my HT room, but up-to very recently, I saw very few sets that struck me as "improved" over my old rear-projection tv (yes, it was ISF calibrated..)

What's the HOT technology now?

LED backlit LCD sets are popular. 3D is growing. LCD has made strives over the past few years, with up to 240Hz panel refresh, zoned LED backlight, and built in media capabilities, from simple playback from a USB device, to Google TV built into some Sony sets.
    Your TiVo expert. TiVo user since 2004.