Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace internal hard drive in Bell PVR

Replace internal hard drive in Bell PVR

Has anyone had any luck replacing the hard drive in a Bell PVR?

I have 9241 PVR with a 320GB internal hard drive. Unfortunately it fills up quickly if I record my shows in HD.

I'm intending to replace it with a 1TB drive, and was wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded their hard drive?

Also... if I copy the shows from the old drive onto the new one (via my computer), will the PVR recognize them after the upgrade?

Umm,

You know that you can add an external drive to the 9241 right?

Kryspy
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700

Yes, but it's a hassle to transfer shows to and from all the time.

You only need to transfer them to the EHD. Why would you need to transfer them back?

Also, I doubt you'll have much luck replacing the internal drive with a bigger one. Bell (Dish actually) only supports particular models, which won't provide any more space than you already have.

-Mike

Even adding a 500 Gb Drive has been done but the receiver still only see's 320Gb, so there is no advantage.

I'm intending to replace it with a 1TB drive, and was wondering if anyone has successfully upgraded their hard drive?
    Can't be done without hacking the firmware. When the firmware gets upgraded by Bell, it will wipe out the changes the 924x won't recognize the disk. External drive is the only way that works reliably.
    --Robert

Quote Originally Posted by brombor View Post
    Yes, but it's a hassle to transfer shows to and from all the time.
    Just to reiterate, you CAN play the shows FROM the external HD... no need to copy back to the receiver.

Thanks everyone... Yes, I wasn't aware that I could watch the shows directly from the external drive afterwards.

I noticed on another thread that you can replace the internal drive in StarChoice DSRs, and was hoping to do the same with my Bell. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by brombor View Post
    Thanks everyone... Yes, I wasn't aware that I could watch the shows directly from the external drive afterwards.

I noticed on another thread that you can replace the internal drive in StarChoice DSRs, and was hoping to do the same with my Bell. Oh well...
    Future Shop will be selling an Iomega 1TB external hard drive for $79.99 on boxing day... at those prices, sure beats fumbling around the innards of the receiver!

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0114940&catid=

Quote Originally Posted by Dede View Post
    Future Shop will be selling an Iomega 1TB external hard drive for $79.99 on boxing day... at those prices, sure beats fumbling around the innards of the receiver!

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0114940&catid=
    Great deal - thanks!