Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WD TV Live or Similar

From what I've heard about all these media bridge boxes is that they all pretty much do the same thing, the things to look for are 1) Interface design and 2) video format playback compatibilities.
    ---------
    I.XOX.TV
    ---------

Boxee has just announced a new box that is generating alot of excitement.

Check it out at

http://blog.boxee.tv/2009/12/09/step...to-cut-a-hole/
    ---------
    I.XOX.TV
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by MeSat View Post
    I just download to my computer and stream to my PS3. I can attach what I want to the computer. The only problem is some formats are not supported with the PS3. My media software can convert on the fly to solve that problem.

I can also attach HDD's to the PS3 or copy to the internal drive which I can upgrade. Content can also be downloaded from the web.
    That how I roll too. My old ps3 blu-ray drive died so I got a slim last month to replace it and the fat is now the media server extender to the basement TV. The good news is I did not come across a single avi or mp4 files in at least a year that my ps3 refused to play. Mediatomb does a great job on my Linux server and it barely use any resource.
    [URL="http://twitter.com/madhi19"]Possunt quia posse videntur[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
    That how I roll too. My old ps3 blu-ray drive died so I got a slim last month to replace it and the fat is now the media server extender to the basement TV. The good news is I did not come across a single avi or mp4 files in at least a year that my ps3 refused to play. Mediatomb does a great job on my Linux server and it barely use any resource.
    I have to configure MediaTomb to convert some of the videos. I just have not had the time.

I built and have used two Xbox Media Centers (XBMC.org) for the last 3 years. It works great for avi and mp4 files. Only downfall is that it won't do HD content. I have hundreds of movies on my PC and they stream just fine to the XBMC. XBMC also has a great interface to see the DVD cover, fan art, plots, actors, etc. I figure I can stretch XBMC for non-HD content for the next couple years. I'll need to start looking for a new HD solution soon though...

Hey Filthy... so you just install XBMC on an Xbox and transform it into a PC-based media center??

Yes, you have to softmod the Xbox first. There is a program called Auto Installer Deluxe that can do the soft modding and the XBMC install all for you. I think the current version is 4.5.

If you have an old Xbox lying around gathering dust, this is a great way to revitalize it. There is a very active community for creating applications for XBMC as well. You can surf the net, go to YouTube, play custom game, as well as a bunch of apps like Poker Timers etc.

It will play any type of media thrown at it, expect for HD. The Xbox 733 Mhz processer isn't fast enought. But for regular avi files, it rocks. It streams everything through your home network.