Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD TV Live or Similar

WD TV Live or Similar

I am wanting to pick up this slick little unit, but would like to see what else the market has to offer. Does anyone know of any units that have the same funcitionality as the Western Digital TV Live unit?

Has anyone used this unit? I am most curious to see how the Youtube access works. Can you search for videos on Youtube?

dishguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I am wanting to pick up this slick little unit, but would like to see what else the market has to offer. Does anyone know of any units that have the same funcitionality as the Western Digital TV Live unit?

Has anyone used this unit? I am most curious to see how the Youtube access works. Can you search for videos on Youtube?
    Looks good but far too simplistic.
    wireless at a bare minimum is required for me to make the switch.
    I am so ready for someone to make a simple appliance that has large enough storage and wireless conection to the content on my computer.
    Then I could access it from my computer and download content directly to it and watch it at my leisure.
    Use torrents, Itunes, broadcasters web sites or some other content provider and watch only what I want when I want it.
    I would dump my Shaw direct subscription in a second and use the money saved to upgrade my set to a +60" unit and beer to go with it.
    It sounds so simple, why has nobody done it yet?
    I don't want anything overly complex just a hard drive with simple storage and access capabilities.

I have the player before this with no connectivity, just USB ports and I love this thing. Download whatever I want, 1080p content, load on a 16GB flash drive and watch full HD...just an excellent buy for the price.

Having the connectivity in this new version would make it that much easier to play from your computer.

Cannot recommend this unit enough.

I have a WDTV Live and a D-Link DSM-510 Media Extender which I bought for $59 at a liquidation sale at Circuit City a few years ago. The D-Link has wireless connectivity but I found it too flaky and unreliable. I ended up replacing the wireless connection with Trendnet powerline adapters and haven't looked back. There's no way wireless will work for 1080p content.

As for the WDTV Live, there are a few glitches but it's a brilliant piece of work. I connect to my computer with it to stream videos stored on my computer to my TV. I don't have to copy them to my WDTV even though I could.

I can also connect from my computer to the WDTV Live and copy a file from its attached hard drive to my computer. I moved a 1.6 GB file to my computer the other day in about 3.5 minutes.
    Phil

dishguy
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilS View Post
    I have a WDTV Live and a D-Link DSM-510 Media Extender which I bought for $59 at a liquidation sale at Circuit City a few years ago. The D-Link has wireless connectivity but I found it too flaky and unreliable. I ended up replacing the wireless connection with Trendnet powerline adapters and haven't looked back. There's no way wireless will work for 1080p content.

As for the WDTV Live, there are a few glitches but it's a brilliant piece of work. I connect to my computer with it to stream videos stored on my computer to my TV. I don't have to copy them to my WDTV even though I could.

I can also connect from my computer to the WDTV Live and copy a file from its attached hard drive to my computer. I moved a 1.6 GB file to my computer the other day in about 3.5 minutes.
    I understand that wireless can't stream fast enough.
    I was suggesting that I keep a folder on an appliance and download to the folder via wireless for play at a later time.
    Right now I have Torrents all go to one download folder it would be great to have that folder on an HD appliance so when I go to watch TV I can just watch whatever show that is completely downloaded out of that folder.

Do you have a link to that powerline adapter?

Have you looked at the Popcorn Hour unit. This appears to be the cream of the crop when it comes media players. I believe the unit actually has built in torrent software.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinesto...nfo&item_id=12

dishguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Have you looked at the Popcorn Hour unit. This appears to be the cream of the crop when it comes media players. I believe the unit actually has built in torrent software.

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinesto...nfo&item_id=12
    Thanks,
    That looks exactly like what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by dishguy View Post
    I understand that wireless can't stream fast enough.
    I was suggesting that I keep a folder on an appliance and download to the folder via wireless for play at a later time.
    Right now I have Torrents all go to one download folder it would be great to have that folder on an HD appliance so when I go to watch TV I can just watch whatever show that is completely downloaded out of that folder.

Do you have a link to that powerline adapter?
    I bought the 85 mb units on sale at Dell.ca for $49. I think it's $99 now. Look aroound. They can be bought anywhere.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...1&sku=A2793371

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...at=all&x=0&y=0

What I do is download my movies to a folder and connect to that folder using the network shares option on the WDTV. The only downside is that the computer needs to be on (although some people connect their's to a NAS).
    Phil

I just download to my computer and stream to my PS3. I can attach what I want to the computer. The only problem is some formats are not supported with the PS3. My media software can convert on the fly to solve that problem.

I can also attach HDD's to the PS3 or copy to the internal drive which I can upgrade. Content can also be downloaded from the web.

All of a sudden it appears as though everyone is jumping on board with a networked HD Media Player. Great news for consumers!

I have just discovered the Patriot Box Office and am now leaning towards this little unit over the WD TV Live. For the simple reason that it has a hard drive bay.

Check it out at

http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...id=895&type=20