Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What do you recommend??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you recommend???

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    Samsung 37" LN37B530 LCD mentioned above is 36.14" x 25.59". Talk about a close fit. I have a similar issue with cabinet width and this TV just fit. They make a 32" model (LN32B530) but it's only $100 cheaper.
    Thanks for your feedback. Today, my wife bought a 37" LG LCD "full HD" TV. She bought it "on sale" at my local Best Buy. Its a tight fit (looks like a stuffed pig in a small over room) but it fit. re: http://ca.lge.com/tv/product/product.html?model=LH30 at 37"

Now.... It appears I must now upgrade my Bell 3100 Receiver. Being connected either coax or RCA (RYW cables), our large screen TV's image is slightly blurred. But its Game Box creates "perfect crisp" image on this new TV. I did some calling around and discovered I "should" (for my wife, it's a `need to`) connect this new LCD TV via its HDMI Port. Only Bell HD Receivers have the HDMI connection port. (very sad). Thus, more dollars for related upgrades... (very sad).

If you know how to connect our new 37" LCD to our Bell 3100 receiver and obtain "sharp / clear" image on our LCD TV, please advise.... thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by spike99 View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. Today, my wife bought a 37" LG LCD "full HD" TV. She bought it "on sale" at my local Best Buy. Its a tight fit (looks like a stuffed pig in a small over room) but it fit. re: http://ca.lge.com/tv/product/product.html?model=LH30 at 37"

Now.... It appears I must now upgrade my Bell 3100 Receiver. Being connected either coax or RCA (RYW cables), our large screen TV's image is slightly blurred. But its Game Box creates "perfect crisp" image on this new TV. I did some calling around and discovered I "should" (for my wife, it's a `need to`) connect this new LCD TV via its HDMI Port. Only Bell HD Receivers have the HDMI connection port. (very sad). Thus, more dollars for related upgrades... (very sad).

If you know how to connect our new 37" LCD to our Bell 3100 receiver and obtain "sharp / clear" image on our LCD TV, please advise.... thanks...

There must be an s-video (sometimes labelled s-vhs) connector at the back of the 3100.... that would give a better picture then coax or RCA (Y).

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I know women who will spend more than that.
    I am certain that that is not from first hand experience...

Thanks for your advise Dede. re: Use 3100's S-Video instead of its lower grade Coax and its slightly higher signal grade RCA (RYW) cables.

Yesterday, my wife & I ordered HD "upgrade" from Bell TV (actually, from our local "the source" store). Luckily, Bell TV HD is "on sale" in my area this weekend. Thus, we got a good deal on it. "The Source" store Tech plans to upgrade our home's existing Dish & provide a new Receiver sometime at the end of next week. Hoping they install the simple 6131 Receiver. With this new HD Receiver, we'll be able to connect our new Large screen LCD TV via its proper HD signal - HDMI cable. And, watch a small number of HD-TV channels as well. Until then, we'll continue to use the RCA ports/cables and continue to use 2 remote control units. re: One for our 3100 Receiver and a different remote for our new TV. Will "merge" 2 remotes into the new HD remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dede View Post
    I am certain that that is not from first hand experience...
    No , left hand experience.

......I'm a southpaw.
    [B][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/B]
    [B]Epson 1080p[/B]
    [B]BEV 6141[/B]
    [B]BEV 9200 x 2[/B]
    [B]Samsung 50" Plasma[/B]
    [B]Pioneer SC-07[/B]

The only way is to get an HD receiver. S-video might make a small improvement but a lot of new equipment omit S-video connectors. Not also that the "HD" receiver will not make a huge improvement to the regular SD channels. It will only look significantly better on HD channels. Get ready to pay more for those.
    --Robert

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    The only way is to get an HD receiver. S-video might make a small improvement but a lot of new equipment omit S-video connectors. Not also that the "HD" receiver will not make a huge improvement to the regular SD channels. It will only look significantly better on HD channels. Get ready to pay more for those.
    Thanks for the info. My one "TV/Video" buddy said the same thing. re: If one wants "super clear" images, one needs HD Receiver, connected to "full" HD LCD TV via HDMI cable and "while watching" an HD movie - in order to get 1080 resolution image. If one of these items is missing, it falls back to 720 or even lesser 480 image (which isn't as sharp of image at full 1080).

More details at: http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFil...tors-v1.1e.pdf

Thanks again for your experience as well...

Just picking nits ...

Thanks for the info. My one "TV/Video" buddy said the same thing. re: If one wants "super clear" images, one needs HD Receiver, connected to "full" HD LCD TV via HDMI cable and "while watching" an HD movie - in order to get 1080 resolution image. If one of these items is missing, it falls back to 720 or even lesser 480 image (which isn't as sharp of image at full 1080).

More details at: http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFil...tors-v1.1e.pdf

Thanks again for your experience as well...

In Canada the best you can do on any cable / sat setup is 1080i. As such, any good composite cable set will give you video just as sharp as HDMI cables. HDMI cables, if your amplifier has video pass through, will give you a much easier and cleaner installation as you only need one HDMI in and one out. No optical cables necessary etc. In the States, DishTV has true HD 1080p available on demand. Bell has not seen fit to provide the service in Canada yet.

With a setup like mine, 9242, Toshiba HD player, Sony Blu-Ray, Philips upscaling HD player for DivX and AVI's and a Sony STRDG820 with 4 HDMI inputs feeding a Samsung 58" Plasma, having ony the minimum cables necessary becomes apparent. The only down side is five or six remotes which was cured with a Harmony 880 allowing one button access to everything.

Here's a hint to hide all those nasty cables: You know those 6' plastic sleeves that you can buy in blue, white, yellow etc to cover up your shower rod? I have white baseboards so I use white shower rod covers to wrap around my cables. Pushed up against the wall they become mostly invisible!

Update:

This morning, the HD TV tech guy arived and installed HD TV inside my home. He installed a new LNB (???) within our existing mounted dish, installed thicker cable from Dish to TV's wall plate, installed a new electronic module - at the wall plate. And, he ensured the cable from wall outlet to back of our new HD Receiver ( model 6131) was much thicker as well. And, the tech connected HD Receiver to our new Full HD TV using its DMI cable.

In the end, our home now has brand new "end to end" physical upgrades. Even with me helping (with ceiling tile removals, pulling new cable across floor boards and pulling thicker calbe upwards - into existing wall plate), it took us 2 hours to complete.

Thanks for your help in this area as well...

Update:

This morning, the HD TV tech guy arived and installed HD TV inside my home. He installed a new LNB (???)
    He likely installed an extra LNB (dual satellite reception) on a Y-adapter so you can receive HD signals from the satellite(s) parked at 82 degrees.

within our existing mounted dish, installed thicker cable from Dish to TV's wall plate,
    Went from RG-59 to RG-6?

installed a new electronic module - at the wall plate.
    The multi-switch?

And, he ensured the cable from wall outlet to back of our new HD Receiver ( model 6131) was much thicker as well. And, the tech connected HD Receiver to our new Full HD TV using its DMI cable.
    Coax changed to RG-6, and he connected the TV with the HDMI cable.

In the end, our home now has brand new "end to end" physical
    upgrades. Even with me helping (with ceiling tile removals, pulling new cable across floor boards and pulling thicker calbe upwards - into existing wall plate), it took us 2 hours to complete.

Thanks for your help in this area as well...

Sounds like the installer did a lot of work - beyond what is usually expected?