Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you recommend???

What do you recommend???

Our home's main floor rec room's 26" tube TV (being 18 years old) has come to its end. She needs to be replaced this Saturday. Probably get one at BestBuy or Future Shop store. Was thinking of getting a 32" LCD "affordable" replacement. Something for our Bell ExpressVu box, our X-Box, our VHS player and DVD player. Something simple and most of all, "affordable". What do you recommend?

Also, I like the crisp image of LG LCD TVs. Are they any good as well?

thanks.

I like the Samsung 37" LN37B530 LCD. They were on sale for $799 last week. I did some research and put a price watch on the set. Much nicer to watch than the 32" I had before and not much more expensive. The 32" HD set will render images at approximately the same scale as the 26" SD set so it isn't a step up in size. A 37" will be a step up in size. HD sets can be much larger than SD sets before artifacts are noticed due to the higher resolution. A lot of people recommend much larger sets, especially for large rooms. At 10' viewing distance, a 50" set is now recommended.
    --Robert

Quote Originally Posted by spike99 View Post

Was thinking of getting a 32" LCD "affordable" replacement. Something for our Bell ExpressVu box, our X-Box, our VHS player and DVD player. Something simple and most of all, "affordable". What do you recommend?
    Spike, you don't mention any switching device (IE , a receiver in the loop?) , and given that you need to connect 4 devices, you need to pay attention to connectors, types and number.

Your BTV box is SD? Your Xbox, is it connected via an RCA connector? Component? DVD is component?

Given a limited budget, plasma is obviously out. So the question isn't "is LCD ok?", but rather what LCD should I get.

I also second I_want's suggestions to go a little bigger - 37" is the minimum size you should consider, although it seems that the number of available model in the 37" inch range is diminishing, 40"-42" inch seems to be the entry size now (yes, lots of 32" available, but why bother??)

This said, I just took a look at Costco and they have cool Toshiba 40" LCD with plenty of connectivity for $829.... I would spend the extra $30 for and extra 3".

http://tinyurl.com/yepxwrd

The cabinet space can only fit a TV unit 36" wide by 25" high. Besides limited cabinet space, our rec room is very small. Too small - but that's a different story. Based on above measurements, only a 32" or less will fit.

If wondering, everyhing is connected to our current 26" Tube TV properly. We turn our current 26" TV on and it remains black for 5 minutes. Then, it flickers and "slowly", an image appears. The image is very shaky and there's 3" black space across the bottom of its screen. I took our little 19" LCD TV (from my kids room), connected to ExpressVu box and its RCA cable and that TV worked perfect. Thus proving, no cable looping...

Thanks for your feedback / recommendations...

Simple answer - get rid of the cabinet!

Quote Originally Posted by Dede View Post
    Simple answer - get rid of the cabinet!
    MMMM... Interesting reply (replies). Size definately must be "a guy" thing. LOL! My focus is on 32" LCD that is "affordable" for average rec room viewing. It doesn't need to be seen from someone down the steet and its sound doesn't need warp 9 quality either. Just a simple solution...

In my opening post, I ask for recommendations on TV Brands, implied detailed specs (720P compared to 1080P, refresh rates, available ports, is HDTV mandatory), etc. etc, and folks get stuck on "size". Appreciate if folks can re-focus more on "details of importance" and less on size. I already got the physical dimension size pinned down (giant smile).

thanks.

Remember that a 26" CRT is different than a 26" HDTV. Look at the image height as a reference.

We use Samsung models at work and I have been impressed with most of them. The final settings can make a big difference in the picture quality.

I agree with the comment to get rid of the stand but I prefer a bigger picture.

If you are going bigger I would recommend 1080p myself. On a smaller screen, I think it would be a waste.

Also, take a DVD that you know has scenes that have lots of action, shades of blue and dark scenes. This will detect delays in the processor, ability to display minor shade colors and contrast for dark scenes. All things that have stopped me from getting and LCD, especially the contrast issue. Also try to compare under similar lighting conditions that are in your rec room.

Quote Originally Posted by spike99 View Post
    MMMM... Interesting reply (replies). Size definately must be "a guy" thing. LOL! My focus is on 32" LCD that is "affordable" for average rec room viewing. It doesn't need to be seen from someone down the steet and its sound doesn't need warp 9 quality either. Just a simple solution...

In my opening post, I ask for recommendations on TV Brands, implied detailed specs (720P compared to 1080P, refresh rates, available ports, is HDTV mandatory), etc. etc, and folks get stuck on "size". Appreciate if folks can re-focus more on "details of importance" and less on size. I already got the physical dimension size pinned down (giant smile).

thanks.

Well to be fair your post actually asked for a recommendation on a 32" affordable TV. I didn't get the sense you were too fussy about the "implied detailed specs" That said though the first response you got was providing you with some valuable advice about the limitations of a 32" set from a techncal perspective not simply based on physical size. This isn't about getting as big a set as you can afford, it should be about getting a set that fits the dynamics of the room within your particular budget. Dede and Robert have suggested a minimum 37" set because for most room dynamics it is the minimum size for optimum viewing.

I have a 32" LCD, it was bought as a second tv for the mainfloor so we could watch the news or other casual viewing while making dinner etc. It is a very nice set and it works for the purpose, but for regular viewing we by far prefer watching the 42" set. Not because "big is better" but because we can sit a comfortable distance from the set and have a decent picture to watch be it in HD, SD, VHS, DVD etc.

In short seriously evaluate your viewing habits, perhaps if you are only a casual viewer 32" will suffice. But at least do some comparisons without getting hung up on what your cabinet will allow. If possible try to get the same or similar set in both a 32" and 37" side by side and sit or stand back the distance of your couch at home. Now try to envision watching a 2 hour movie, the Super Bowl, etc. and decide which one you would rather watch for that period of time.

Sony, Sharp, Panasonic are all decent LCD manufactures and are carried at the stores you cite, and generally be found a decent sale price.
    [b]Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain [/b]

Quote Originally Posted by Dede View Post
    .... I would spend the extra $30 for and extra 3".

http://tinyurl.com/yepxwrd
    I know women who will spend more than that.
    [B][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/B]
    [B]Epson 1080p[/B]
    [B]BEV 6141[/B]
    [B]BEV 9200 x 2[/B]
    [B]Samsung 50" Plasma[/B]
    [B]Pioneer SC-07[/B]

The cabinet space can only fit a TV unit 36" wide by 25" high.
    Samsung 37" LN37B530 LCD mentioned above is 36.14" x 25.59". Talk about a close fit. I have a similar issue with cabinet width and this TV just fit. They make a 32" model (LN32B530) but it's only $100 cheaper.
    --Robert