Thread: Best Buy Canada or USA

Question Best Buy Canada or USA

My old pre-HD Yamaha a/v receiver is on its last legs. I will be on a several week vacation visiting Branson, Mo for the shows and Iowa to visit friends . I thought that I might buy a mid-level replacement for the Yamaha in Iowa at Best Buy. I am considering a Pioneer VSX 1019 AHK. Although the Pioneer is i-equipped, I don’t have an i-pod or i–anything so that is not a consideration.

The price at Best Buy Canada is $700, with tax = $791
    The price at Best Buy USA is $510, with state tax, no duty, and rate of exchange = $600

I don’t have a digital TV so I won’t be able to test out for HDMI purposes.

If I had a problem with the receiver, would Pioneer in Canada honor a USA Pioneer warranty, Best Buy Canada, or would I have to drive it 1.5 hours to Watertown, NY for an over the counter replacement or warranty work?

Any suggestions about the receiver or saving $200 by Best Buying in Iowa?

Cool

I've tried to find official documentation from Pioneer about their stance on grey market products, but I'm drawing a blank beyond the simple "Pioneer doesn't look favourably at grey market goods"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    .. I am considering a Pioneer VSX 1019 AHK. Although the Pioneer is i-equipped, I don’t have an i-pod or i–anything so that is not a consideration.
    Ross, have you read this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?t=1149686&

Lots of goodies...

Red face Too complicated set-up ?

Wow, that is some thread. Thank you very much!
    It sounds like a great receiver, especially at my price point.

The only problem is that I may not be smart enough to surmount the much talked about poorly written owner's manual.

Thanks for checking about the guarantee!!
    If Pioneer Canada maybe won't fix it, I will just have to make a day of it and go to Watertown, NY - twice. Not a hardship.

Lol, a 40 page thread - a bit overwhelming eh?

What would be the duty if you just drove to Watertown to buy it? I'm not sure if BB stores in the U.S. are as willing to support warranty claims between stores? Wouldn't the peace of mind be worth it?

How would you bring the receiver back from Branson? Put it in your luggage? If so, be careful of the extra weight!!

Technically speaking, I believe that duty calculation is based on the country of a product’s manufacture. As an individual, I have always been charged at the duty rate of import calculated as the USA as the country of origin. Since we have free trade on most non-“cultural” goods, there is no duty on things brought in from the USA. The customs people will collect GST and PST, but you would normally pay that at a Canadian retail store anyway. I am allowed a $750 tax free import after 10 days absence from Canada. I won’t even have to pay the GST and PST.

I never bought anything at a Canadian or USA Best Buy store that needed to be returned for warranty work. I believe that a New York Best Buy would honor an adjustment on purchase from an Iowa Best Buy store. I will ask. Since I am driving on my vacation, there is no concern about luggage being overweight.

Driving to Ottawa or Watertown is not much of a difference in mileage for me. The only difference is the cost of the toll bridge. $200 Cdn (after taxes & R.E.) savings on an $800 Cdn (after taxes) receiver is a pretty good discount and makes, what I believe to be a small risk worthwhile to me.

It is hard for me to decypher the tariff, but it looks like it could be either duty free up to a maximum of 6% worst case. Take a look:

Import Tariffs PDF

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    The only difference is the cost of the toll bridge.

It is hard for me to decypher the tariff, but it looks like it could be either duty free up to a maximum of 6% worst case.
    Bridge toll (at Prescott) was $2.75US or $3.25CDN (each way) when I went down about 2 weeks ago.

As for duty, I have never (since NAFTA) had Customs check the country of origin for stuff I have brought back. Nor have they ever asked about it. They just collect the PST and GST these days.

Mike