Thread: Rogers Cable to drop WPBS Watertown!!

Angry Rogers Cable to drop WPBS Watertown!!

After nearly 40 years of the Ottawa market receiving WPBS Watertown FRACK'N ROGERS CABLE will be dropping it in favor of PBS Detroit.

Altjough I don't watch PBS that often or contruibute, the point is Watertown has had Ottawa as its market(70% of its subs are from the Ottawa area)Rogers is dropping them.

Rogers states that Ottawa area consumers wherer consulted and that they told Ottawa Rogers they favored Dertroit over Watertowen

BULL SHIT!!! is that why Watertown has 70% of their subs from Ottawa .

They say the receiption is better from Detroit and more reliable, not sure if thats true or not but evvery time we have Digital cable problems Detroits PBS always goes out but Watertowns stay cleart as a bell. Supposely this is to take place in August. Accord to the news report Rogerrs will not reverse their decesion. We'll se

If I where a PBS Watertown sub I'd ask Rogers for my refund of my membership.

Detroit has nothing in common with Ottawa although Watertown has not that much in common woth Ottawa they have done things about Ottawa and the Vally and seaway, much I can say for Detroit.

Like I said I'm not a PBS watcher or sub, but this just PISSES ME OFF!!
    Welcome To OC TRANSPO
    <b>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Zr5s8Nmew
    Watch The OC Video

And becaues of this, PBS Watertown will likely go bankrupt. My guess is that if WPBS goes bankrupt, that area will be served by the PBS affiliate in Syracuse.

Thumbs up

WQLN in Erie is in the same predicament. The majority of their donations are from Canada and they cater their programming to the tastes of their subs. WQLN has been on cable in the London region since it went on air. It's not that I don't like the Detroit PBS but we've have had both PBS stations for years. With the loss of the Erie stations, we will be down to 1 station for each US network from 2. Rogers has been playing fast and loose with US network stations for years. They keep swapping and dropping US stations, pissing off subs in the process. They even got their knuckles rapped by the CRTC on on occasion and were told to undo the changes.
    --Robert

Shaw Direct tried to remove the PBS station from Buffalo from their lineup a few months ago but PBS Buffalo asked their viewers to get intouch with Shaw Direct and ask them not to remove their station. They succeeded. Hopefully WPBS will get on the air and ask their viewers not to allow Rogers to remove WPBS. WPBS now has info on their website on who to call... www.wpbstv.org
    ~Gary

Very bad PR on Rogers part.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to do this other then to save costs on infastructure. WTVS is readily available in both markets as is a west feed from Seattle. If people want a choice, subscribe to digital cable. Don't just drop a station that has been available in there respective markets for 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
    Shaw Direct tried to remove the PBS station from Buffalo from their lineup a few months ago but PBS Buffalo asked their viewers to get intouch with Shaw Direct and ask them not to remove their station. They succeeded.
    It will be interesting to see what happens if and when Shaw decides to dump Spokane, and the interesting twist there is that there is no Seattle HD feed for PBS in the lineup...
    ShawDirect (Starchoice) subscriber since 2004

If enough people protest this move, I think rogers will reconsider dropping 2 important PBS stations.