Thread: HTPC, XBox 360 or PS3

HTPC, XBox 360 or PS3

Trying to decide which one. Mostly just streaming DIVX movies to it. XBox is the cheapest, but also the noisiest and most prone to breaking. Not sure how many formats the PS3 can do, I know it does DIVX. Get a BlueRay player for only $100 more. I don't rent alot of movies. Build a small HTPC, pretty much silent, more options for format playback, costs more. Buy a Dell Studio Hybrid off Ebay, around the same cost as building one.

I don't want to game on it.

Anyone with experience with the Xbox and PS3?

You could also get a Popcorn Hour A-110 media player and use your PC as a server or add an internal drive. That will cost about $260 + drive. It supports lots of media servers, codecs and file formats.

HTPCs are getting pretty cheap these days as well. A basic HTPC can be built for about $400 + software. Add $80 for a BD player. It will have better specs than the Studio Hybrid.
    --Robert

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    You could also get a Popcorn Hour A-110 media player and use your PC as a server or add an internal drive. That will cost about $260 + drive. It supports lots of media servers, codecs and file formats.

HTPCs are getting pretty cheap these days as well. A basic HTPC can be built for about $400 + software. Add $80 for a BD player. It will have better specs than the Studio Hybrid.
    I had looked at the Popcorn hour and was thinking about the HP Extender, but it looks like its cancelled now(HP).

I was looking at getting a Zotac motherboard with an Atom CPU and nVidia graphics which is a mini ITX. Antec has a nice small case. This has a bit better graphics than the Dell, but you can get more powerful CPU's in the Dell's. Both are supposed to be able to do HD and Blueray.

I was just thinking about the XBox since its cheaper, $199 - $299 depending on the model, but I've never heard how loud there supposed to be.

I looked at the Atom mobos as well. The ones capable of doing HTPC duty are expensive and the cases are not cheap either. There are better deals using mATX mobos made for HTPCs and AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPUs.
    --Robert

I picked up and XBox 360 Arcade tonight just because it was $200 - $300 bucks cheaper than building a PC, which I like to do. Easier for the wife to figure out the XBox. Took about 3 hrs to finally get the movies to play. The HP Windows Home Server were the movies are was the culprit. It comes with an Add-on called PVConnect which is suppose to stream media. Music worked ok, but pictures and movies didn't show up on the Xbox. When I turned on the WHS native sharing it all worked well.

There are free media servers available so it is not necessary to purchase a brand name PC or special software/hardware to do this. TVersity is one of the better free media servers I've looked at. I use MediaPortal which is both a client and server and is meant for HTPCs. The final release is a lot better than the earlier versions that gave it a bad rep. VLC on a HTPC is also a good solution if all you want to do is play video files.

Like I said before, HTPCs are no longer that expensive to build. A better system than the Dell Studio Hybrid can be built for less money. A single board solution can be put together for under $400 if the right components and software are chosen, cheaper if old components are reused. There are lots of solutions out there. It's best to check the free software to see if one of those will work for you and are still supported. Then check the free demos of commercial products.

SageTV is one of the best commercial products available. It's pretty much plug'n'play so it's a good option if you don't have much time and don't mind the expense. They also have a media client that costs about US$200. It's similar to other media players like the Popcorn Hour. The server software and media player retail for about US$290 total so it is comparable in cost to some of the other solutions available. SageTV is actively supported and has lots of features.
    --Robert