Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Canadian TV such a crap?

Quote Originally Posted by gndvrn View Post
    Paying $ 150 per month for TV? That’s so funny I’m almost fell out of the window. That is $ 1800 per year of your after tax money (you should earn $ 2340 per year just to pay for tv). Seen many people who go around sucking Him Tortons coffee, and driving new cars. After they lose their job for 10 days, they apply for welfare.
    I'm just going to ask directly, why don't you cancel your subscription and put up an antenna? In the GTA you should be able to get a whole roster of channels, including digital ones offering HD - all for free once you've bought the antenna. Oh, and there's only one French channel over-the-air there.

TV antenna

With tv antenna, I'm able to get 7 channels, one of them is tvokids (absolut shit 24 hours a day), two are in poor quality. I'm about 12 km away from CN tower and want to experiment more with my antenna, when it will be warmer. I cancelled all my other tv packages and have only basic, because there is nothing to watch on them, anyway. Why pay more? All the same stupid movies, and stupid shows. I was working in several countries abroad, and know how much cable or cell phone services should cost. For the same everything, with better content I paid $10 a month for cable, and 0.15 $/min for cell phone, per second tariff, and if I don't use my mobile during a month, there is no other charges. This state monopolies are ripping you off guyes.

With tv antenna, I'm able to get 7 channels, one of them is tvokids (absolut shit 24 hours a day), two are in poor quality. I'm about 12 km away from CN tower and want to experiment more with my antenna, when it will be warmer. I cancelled all my other tv packages and have only basic, because there is nothing to watch on them, anyway. Why pay more? All the same stupid movies, and stupid shows. I was working in several countries abroad, and know how much cable or cell phone services should cost. For the same everything, with better content I paid $10 a month for cable, and 0.15 $/min for cell phone, per second tariff, and if I don't use my mobile during a month, there is no other charges. This state monopolies are ripping you off guyes.
    No i do not see it is beeing ripped off.The channels i have i am very happy with about 70% of them.While agree channels 1-30 may not be great.But no on all the channels there not the same movies.Tmn and superchannel both offer a very good selection of movies and series.The hd and a large number of the deigital selects are real good.

It is easier and cheaper to run a service where you only have to put up a few antennas for a million people. High density populations mean lower per user cost. Think about this the next time you drive outside the GTA area. Try going to Sarnia or up past Owen Sound. Think of how many places you have been that have to provide coverage to vast areas of unpopulated land.

Also, many of these places don't have the greedy MPAA and other major corporations at their door trying to rape every cent out of the view as possible. Heck, some of them probably don't even recognize many of the copyright laws that Canada has to deal with.

The last time I was in the UK. Basic TV cost a lot more than here in Canada. Cable was about the same price.

Talking

Why Canadian TV such a crap?
    99% of any country's TV is crap to most people. Get a PVR and quit whining.
    --Robert