Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Why Canadian TV such a crap? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Canadian TV such a crap?

NewBoy
    I subscribe to Rogers Basic Cable ($ 33 per month). And every time I turn on the TV I’m wondering why I pay so much for the garbage I see on the screen
    I see no one has bothered to ask this question but I can't resist- If its all garbage then why exactly are you subscribing to it in the first place?! No one is forcing you to subscribe to this 'garbage' as you put it, so I don't understand the point of your post?? Don't pay, turn off the TV- its as simple as that!

If more people cancelled their service instead of just complaining like you are doing then we would see some real change. $33. for basic cable is ridiculous and way over priced for what they are offering. I don't understand why people tolerate this- the content you receive is not worth the amount you pay so why pay, just walk away and tell Rogers to shove it! If enough people do this and by enough I would say at least 10% of their subscriber base then you would see some significant changes come down the pipe.

While I agree that in a perfect world we would only have to subscribe to channels we want, that has never been the case and most likely will never be.
    I don't agree. Everything comes to an end at some point and I think that the days of being force fed channels and packages are coming to end thanks in part to the rise of the Internet. You have lots of choice available on the net and that will force BDU's to change. You may still have a must-subscribe package (probably locals) but everything else will be available on an a la carte basis. People will have to pay quite a bit for this choice but it will be available. For example, I think the sports channels should be available on a stand alone basis just like the movie services are. I don't think people would mind paying say $5 a month for TSN/TSN2 and with 2 full-time channels you would get quite a bit of content there.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBoy View Post
    I see no one has bothered to ask this question but I can't resist- If its all garbage then why exactly are you subscribing to it in the first place?! No one is forcing you to subscribe to this 'garbage' as you put it, so I don't understand the point of your post?? Don't pay, turn off the TV- its as simple as that!
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by gndvrn View Post
    Canadian population is 80% idiots ..
    Well there a few idiots that's for sure. Even some so idiotic that they can't follow something as simple as French ... or figure out how to use an antenna and get it for free.

Question The day that ......

Quote Originally Posted by NewBoy View Post
    snip snip ....

You may still have a must-subscribe package (probably locals) but everything else will be available on an a la carte basis. People will have to pay quite a bit for this choice but it will be available. .
    I've never knowingly been a criminal - yet. But the day (CRTC paying attention I hope) I have to pay EXTRA for locals will be the day my entire BELL package, rental of my 9242 and my dish will be history. I WILL get my satellite elsewhere. And it won't include CANADIAN LOCALS at ANY price. I'm really hoping that Canadian satellite and cable watcher are as PO'd about this as I am. Our 'local' CTV station isn't even Halifax for heavens sakes - it's Fredericton. And they want me to pay EXTRA for it! I don't think so. I vehemently believe that if the Canadian Locals want to be paid extra then they should be in a package called "Canadian Locals". And you should be able to opt in or out. When they are considered 'basic' cable then they should be mandatory. When they want to be treated like TSNHD and The Military Channel then you shoud have the option of buying in or staying out.

<off soapbox>

Ideally tv broadcasts in Toronto should be in Chinese and Hindi as majority of the population. Native Canadians can have one channel with hockey, sandwich commercials and 7 parts soap opera, rebroadcast every week.

APTN doesn't carry any hockey.

NewBoy
    I've never knowingly been a criminal - yet. But the day (CRTC paying attention I hope) I have to pay EXTRA for locals will be the day my entire BELL package, rental of my 9242 and my dish will be history. I WILL get my satellite elsewhere. And it won't include CANADIAN LOCALS at ANY price. I'm really hoping that Canadian satellite and cable watcher are as PO'd about this as I am. Our 'local' CTV station isn't even Halifax for heavens sakes - it's Fredericton. And they want me to pay EXTRA for it! I don't think so. I vehemently believe that if the Canadian Locals want to be paid extra then they should be in a package called "Canadian Locals". And you should be able to opt in or out. When they are considered 'basic' cable then they should be mandatory. When they want to be treated like TSNHD and The Military Channel then you shoud have the option of buying in or staying out.
    I agree completely with your sentiments.

I think fee for carriage should be implemented on a market by market basis not just one big fee right across the board. Also as a trade off for consumers, if the CRTC allows this fee they should make subscription OPTIONAL. In the area that I live, CHCH Hamilton is my local station and thus the ONLY station I would be willing to support through some sort of fee. They are the ones who air news and local content that is of interest to me and has to do with the area I live in. I don't care about CTV, Global, etc. because the closest stations here are from Toronto and since I don't live there I could care less about Toronto news and whatever else local they air. Unfortunately this proposal will never fly with the broadcasters and possibly not with the CRTC either?! Basically what I am advocating here is a sort of PBS-style funding, whereby those that watch and want their local station are the ones who will support it and are willing to pay a fee to that end. Anything else IMO is just one big cash grab by the broadcasters and I hope people will see through their rhetoric and threats of shutting down stations (which I don't believe will happen).

I subscribe to Rogers Basic Cable ($ 33 per month). And every time I turn on the TV I’m wondering why I pay so much for the garbage I see on the screen. There is 35 channels:

1 channel shows stupid programs for little kids, people speak like cartoon characters, and cartoons look like figures where caught from cardboard.

2 channels are in French – no value for me.

2 channels are news: CBC and CityTV NewsNet, I can watch those. But problem is they show same stories, often with the same footage and with the same comments. Another thing is they have news for 30 min per day maximum. They show them in the merry-go-round mode. I often wonder how on planet earth, where we have 6 bln people they can’t find anything better then Iraq war, Afghan war and Obama which take about 80 % of the time.

1 is a shopping channel, selling you things you don’t need for the price you can’t afford.

Other 28 channels are absolutely indistinguishable from each other, they show “Friends”, “One and a half man”, “King of Queens” and similar soaps running there for the last 10 years at least. When they reach last part they start from the beginning. Most of the other air time is dedicated to Court Room shows, Cooking shows, Quiz shows and the like. This is for the people with IQ level of a dog, thoug I saw dogs smarter then this.

And do not forget that whatever channel you chose you really watching commercials and they are interrupted by some other broadcasts with a ratio of 5 min commercial - 7 min other programming.

Usually I switch channels for 15 min and I turn off the TV, and always I ask myself this 3 questions:

Am I too smart that I can’t watch this crap?
    May be Canadian audience are so dumb they find it entertaining?
    Or if there is a conspiracy between Government and Media companies trying really hard to turn all Canadians into vegetables?
    Its seems your expecting way to much out of a basic package.I pay $150 a month yes i have all movie channels/sports/hd etc and over all i am happy with the channels.No i would not say its all crap sure some is but not all of it.

Him Tortons

Paying $ 150 per month for TV? That’s so funny I’m almost fell out of the window. That is $ 1800 per year of your after tax money (you should earn $ 2340 per year just to pay for tv). Seen many people who go around sucking Him Tortons coffee, and driving new cars. After they lose their job for 10 days, they apply for welfare.

Wink What's to laugh ????

Paying $ 150 per month for TV? That’s so funny I’m almost fell out of the window. snip ... snip ....
    What's so funny? I spend $138 a month taxes in. It's our main source of entertainment after supper. In most cases, my complaints and the complaints of MOST of the people here is not with the $$ we spend, but the VALUE we get for the $$ we spend.

I don't begrudge the $$ I spend on shows I watch. But I squawk and big time when companies who do NOTHING but supposedly BUY the rights to a show, then sub their program over the one I'm already paying for when they have done absolutely NOTHING for it. I complain and so do many others here about the CRTC hacks who make hundreds of thousands of $$ a year on the tax payers dime, but consistently make rulings that benefit only the network moguls and the companies that buy and redistribute American programs.

What bugs most of the people here is not Canadian content or protecting Canadian identity or even protecting Canadian jobs. For the most part it is the sickening decisions that come time after time from people paid by you and me, making decisions that benefit a handful of companies owned by billionaires who need more protection like we need another hole in our heads. Some wag said once that after the first million it's just a game. Some of these b##tards buy and sell politicians and civil service hacks like you and I buy gum. Anything to get the rulings they want. Anything to increase their returns no matter how gross.

The last straw (for me) is watching network spokespeople say that, after a decade of making me watch sim-subbed programs, to increase their profit share in a market downturn, they now want to charge my sat/cable company to carry their signal. Their signal which, for the most part during prime time, contains nothing but programs they purchased abroad, relogoed and retooled with their own advertising and then use it to block out the signal I BOUGHT when I selected " US NETWORKS" in my GOLD PACKAGE theme pack!

The only fair thing for the CRTC to do is, if they permit them the surcharge, to package the locals in a theme which you can purchase or decline the same way you do all the other stations that charge for their service.

And I don't think for one second they'll do that!

Paying $ 150 per month for TV? That’s so funny I’m almost fell out of the window. That is $ 1800 per year of your after tax money (you should earn $ 2340 per year just to pay for tv). Seen many people who go around sucking Him Tortons coffee, and driving new cars. After they lose their job for 10 days, they apply for welfare.
    If you haven't noticed already, this is a TV enthusiast forum. You will be hard pressed to find anyone here on basic cable. If you put up an antenna you should be able to get some Hindi/Chinese programming; I am assuming you live in the GTA. Maybe TV isn't for you. Cancel your super expensive basic cable and put that money towards a Netflix subscription, that is if a DVD player is in your budget.