Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connect second tv to 9242

connect second tv to 9242

HI,
    just ordered a upgraded box for my expressvu service. I ordered a 9242 receiver and Bell is going to install this weekend. have a question regarding the connection to a second tv.

I will be installing the 9242 pvr in the basement and connect it to my plasma tv via hdmi. The sales person creating the work order for the install asked if I wanted the second connect wired to another room. I said yes..

am thinking that I would like to have this connected to my tv tuner card that I have in my computer in my kitchen. then I can watch standard definition tv while I cook.
    the tv tuner card has co-ax input (cable?) and svideo and composite inputs.

what will the bell installer run to the second tv (computer)? will he just run co-ax cable? if he does, do I just connect it to the tuner card and set it on channel 3? how would it work if I had a standard tube tv with just co-ax inputs?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubbadss View Post
    HI,
    just ordered a upgraded box for my expressvu service. I ordered a 9242 receiver and Bell is going to install this weekend. have a question regarding the connection to a second tv.

I will be installing the 9242 pvr in the basement and connect it to my plasma tv via hdmi. The sales person creating the work order for the install asked if I wanted the second connect wired to another room. I said yes..

am thinking that I would like to have this connected to my tv tuner card that I have in my computer in my kitchen. then I can watch standard definition tv while I cook.
    the tv tuner card has co-ax input (cable?) and svideo and composite inputs.

what will the bell installer run to the second tv (computer)? will he just run co-ax cable? if he does, do I just connect it to the tuner card and set it on channel 3? how would it work if I had a standard tube tv with just co-ax inputs?

thanks
    I have the 9242 in my living room and it is fed with both lnb's. There is a take off on the back of the 9242 which I have going to a little 'under the cabinet' TV in the kitchen. It is slaved to the 9242 .... i.e. whatever channel the 9242 is on is what gets put out on ch76 (my selection) to the kitchen.

This frees up the other two cables, one which goes to my 3100 in the bedroom and the other goes to the 9200 in the den. The den feeds both my Hauppauge cards in my computer and the wife's. One gets cable, the other gets yellow/white/red. The only down side is that there is only one cable from the 44 switch (I still get all channels) but I can only watch one input, or tape one program while watching one taped. Not enough inputs to go around!

Anyway, have a look at the tv out on the 9242 and see if that will work for you!

9242 Configuration

The way I have mine configured is to have the HDMI output going to my HD TV. I then have the 9242 configured to provide a separate tuner output on the back. I use the coax output and set it to Channel 76. This goes through coax cabling to another room where I set the TV to Channel 76. I change channels on that one with the UHF remote that comes with the 9242. That way my wife can watch one thing while I watch another.

I went this route as I am in the US and don't have the option of getting an additional receiver with Bell as I would have to hook up one of them to the phone line and get caught.

I also had to provide a separate coax feed to the other room as we have Comcast Cable and I would interfere with a lot of the channels that carry digital signals.

Thanks for the responses... couple followup questions:

- the bell installer is going to install cabling to another room for the second tuner. what will he/she run? coax?

- can I access the PVR to view stored shows from the second tuner? if so, what if the show was recorded in HD and my second tv is not HD?

lastly, when they install the box, will then need to run 2 cables to the receiver from the dish? what can I expect as far as them hiding the cables or are they just going to tack them to the baseboard.

am so excited to finally get HD!!!

thanks

- coax - rg62

- yes, you can access the PVR shows from the second television.

- you can view the HD content on the second television, but it won't be HD.

- installation is typically 4 lines from the dish to an SW44 switch, which can either be mounted on the back of the dish, or inside your house. Two lines are needed from the switch to your receiver.

- I'm not sure about the last part, I don't have any experience with a "professional" installer running cables inside. I imagine they do what's easiest, so you might want to ask him beforehand.

-Mike

Mike is correct, the Installer will use the "Route of least resistance" to get from the Dish right to the location of the 9242(2 lines of RG6). The same applies from the 9242 to your PC for the "Backfeed"(Again RG6 is used).

It is worth mentioning that the 9242 when used in Dual Mode will output the programming from BOTH Tuners via the "Agile Modulated Output" of the TV#2 out. This means that you will see whatever is being watched on the HDTV and your own Tuner, on the PC's Tuner Card.

Very useful for monitoring other peoples viewing, kids for example. The Installer should set this up for you, although he is very likely to have only a LIMITED knowledge of the actual Tuner card itself, so you may need to assist him with this.

Channels can be set via the on-screen menu for TV#2 outputs. Again the installer will do this. It should NOT be on Channel 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimiq 1 View Post
    Channels can be set via the on-screen menu for TV#2 outputs. Again the installer will do this. It should NOT be on Channel 3.
    If I setup the box to run as individual tuners, I should be able to use the UHF remote to change the channels on the "tv" that is my kitchen computer.

When I asked what channel it should be on.. I was referring to the co-ax connection to the tv-tuner card in my pc. Right now, I have rogers cable going into the tuner card and I use the built in tuner on the card to change channels.
    If they run a co-ax cable to the computer and connect it to the tv-tuner card, will that work? that would be the same as running that co-ax cable to an old traditional tube tv that only has the co-ax input.

thoughts?

Cool

If I setup the box to run as individual tuners, I should be able to use the UHF remote to change the channels on the "tv" that is my kitchen computer.
    Yes you can use Remote #2 to control the output of Tuner #2. The output of Tuner #1 will be visible on the PC but it's programming will be controled by the other Remote #1. Obviously this will only be visible if Tuner #1 is active.

When I asked what channel it should be on.
    It will be on whatever channel you choose from the Menu, lots of options.

Right now, I have rogers cable going into the tuner card and I use the built in tuner on the card to change channels.
    If you choose a channel that is NOT in use with your current Rogers Coax, it should be possible, by using a Splitter in reverse to ADD the outputs of the 9242 to the same cable and use the Tuner card to view it.

If they run a co-ax cable to the computer and connect it to the tv-tuner card, will that work?
    Yes, as above.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbadss View Post

thoughts?
    Yes you can use Remote #2 to control the output of Tuner #2. The output of Tuner #1 will be visible on the PC but it's programming will be controled by the other Remote #1. Obviously this will only be visible if Tuner #1 is active.
    bubbass: In 9242 lingo, this means that the 9242 receiver will need to be set-up as "dual-mode" to permit this. There's a button to do this right on the front panel, to the right of the power button.

Cables will be run the easiest and fastest way. I am perhaps incorrect on this but they are likely not paid that well hence the reason.

If you would like things done a certain way likely out of the realm of "normal" discuss this during the phone conversation when setting up the appointment to allow for extra time or mention it when he arrives that you would like things a certain way and will be compensated $$$$.