Thread: Black Friday Forecast: Blu-ray Players For $149

Black Friday Forecast: Blu-ray Players For $149

Washington, D.C. (September 19, 2008) -- How would you like a Blu-ray player for $149 or a $499 Plasma HDTV?

Those are just a few of the deals you'll likely see at retail stores on Black Friday, according to the site, DealNews.com.

Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, marks the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season. Retailers traditionally slash prices on that day to give the season a strong push-off. Last year, for instance, big-screen HDTVs were available for well under $1,000 at some stores while HD DVD players were slashed to $99.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/black091908.htm

I'm a HD DVD owner that's still full of sour grapes. But a new Blu-ray Players with most of the new bells & whistles for just $149, I will finally be able to move on.

I'll place my 2 HD DVD players in the basement next to my betamax, ReplayTV DVR and D-theater VHS player

I know exactly how you feel Mojo. I too spent quite a bit of money on HD DVD, but finally gave in and went Blu. I love HD content way too much to sit and stew about it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    I'll place my 2 HD DVD players in the basement next to my betamax, ReplayTV DVR and D-theater VHS player
    LOL - My HD-DVD is sitting on top of my Laserdisc player. Haven't used either in a while. I'm sure they will start increasing in value in about 30 years

Black Friday - when is Thanksgiving in the U.S., and will we see drastic cuts in prices in Canada?

Thanksgiving in the U.S

2008 - Thursday, November 27th
    2009 - Thursday, November 26th
    2010 - Thursday, November 25th

Drastic price cuts in Canada? Not likely. We ae still being ripped off big time, even though the dollar has risen. A friend of mine just bought a new set of tires in Buffalo for $630 U.S. when they wanted $1100 Canadian for exactly the same brand and model. Some items are much better, but on the whole scale we are still paying a 20% premium on goods that should be no more than 10% higher than U.S. prices.

Quote Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
    A friend of mine just bought a new set of tires in Buffalo for $630 U.S. when they wanted $1100 Canadian for exactly the same brand and model. Some items are much better, but on the whole scale we are still paying a 20% premium on goods that should be no more than 10% higher than U.S. prices.

my motorcycle club has banded together to make "bulk" purchases from the US, especially when it comes to tires. motorcycle tires are another ripoff here in Canada...way cheaper in the US. We definitely are getting ripped off here, and as usual nothing is being done. what the problems is lots of times it the "middle man", a "broker" doing nothing but paper-pushing, and making a good $$ doing that, while we get ripped off.
    my 9 yr old RP 47" HDTV looks better than your new flatscreen - deal with it!!

Canadian retailers give us the best deals AFTER Xmas with Boxing week long day sales.
    So I don't buy big ticket items until then.
    Shaw Direct
    Roku 3 with US Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus.

Why wait for Black Friday?

Future Shop has a Sharp Blu-Ray Disc player on sale THIS week: $199

...at current exchange rates, that's just US$168

My Black Friday forecast would be white-brand Blu-Ray players for $99...