Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Lets talk about tv's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about tv's

Lets talk about tv's

Its been awhile since there has been some discussion about tv's here.
    And just timely because I am in the market for a new tv, talk about coincidence...

With this said I think Plasma is a better option, but is it really that much better than LCD?

Also I havent got the keys for my apt yet, so I dont know how far I would be sitting from it after a couch is installed but nonethless is it really worth pony up the money for a 52" 1080P plasma?

For regular HD cable viewing and blu ray wouldnt 720P be more than suficient?
    Whats the consensus on this?
    [b]Show me the money![/b]
    [img]http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mkmclean/sig.jpg[/img]

wade003
    If you are in the market for a new tv I would check out the Toshiba Regza 2008 line up. The high end LCD Home Theather model XF550U's are just out on the market and listed on the toshiba.ca web site. These models are getting great reviews on another forum and addresses a lot of the problems that plagued LCD displays. Not sure if I can mention other forum here. The next model down is the XV540U is more for sports and gaming is supposed to be out in April some time. This model runs about $200.00 to $500.00 less than the XF550 model.
    Other new models comming out in Plasma is the Panasonic Viera PZ800U and PZ850U. These models are supposed to be out some time in April. Info and specs are available on panasonic.com Web site.

Hope this info helps. wade003

I have the Toshiba 42HL167... 1080p LCD. Aside from the green push which is easily fixed with some service menu tweaking. The blacks and colour rival plasma without the headache and concern of image retention.

Kryspy
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700

For regular HD cable viewing and blu ray wouldnt 720P be more than suficient?
    For Blu-ray, 1080p will be much better, especially for a 52" TV. HDTV should be better as well, given you are able to get 1080i stations. (i.e. OTA or Rogers, not EV.)

720p is probably fine for HDTV on 32" and smaller TVs. For Blu-ray and larger TVs I would go with 1080p.
    --Robert

I just can't say enough about the Sony SXRD LCD and yes I know they are no longer made
    The picture for a big TV is just awesome and even after months of owning it , it still has that WOW Factor , people that have been over that have HD always look at it and say "mine don't look like that !"

Zed

( picture taken from about 15 feet away )

( picture taken from about 3 feet away )

( picture taken from about 3 feet away )

Zed

With this said I think Plasma is a better option, but is it really that much better than LCD?
    Hmm, disputable... and no.

Depends on the room it's in. Lcd is better in rooms with lots of windows and light. Plasma better in the " theatre style " setting.
    Look out for 120 hz. tv's. These are supposed to smooth out fast moving pictures dramatically. A friend of mine has a 120hz Philips and he says it's a smooth a silk. There are quite a few of them out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dede View Post
    Hmm, disputable... and no.
    Not sure where you got that info. Goes against all the research I did only a few months ago. I ended up with a Panny TH-50PZ80. Price/performance you can't beat Plasma right now. Sure the LCDs are getting better but they will cost you more. Things I liked about Plasma

Full NTSC color representation.
    Blacks that are really black.
    Wide viewing angles with little degradation in picture quality.

The only knock I have against it is it uses lots of power. Came with a heavy duty power cable.

Panasonic.ca has a page that discusses the difference between plasma and LCD which might be useful.

The conventional wisdom is that plasma is better for large screens and LCD for small screens. That is starting to blur as LCD screens get bigger. The main problem I have with LCD is the poor black level. It's very noticeable in a darkened room.
    --Robert

My properly set up Toshiba will rival the blacks of any plasma. You just got to find the right mix of contrast, backlight and brightness.

Kryspy
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700