Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Toshiba withdraws HD-DVD - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba withdraws HD-DVD

From what i understand there are 3 generations of Blue Ray players, and they are not software upgradeable. The old versions, 1.0, won't play some of the extras on the newer dvd's. I read somewhere about changes in encryption to dvd's that gave the early generations problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
    From what i understand there are 3 generations of Blue Ray players, and they are not software upgradeable. The old versions, 1.0, won't play some of the extras on the newer dvd's. I read somewhere about changes in encryption to dvd's that gave the early generations problems.
    I can live with my old HD-DVD player for a while until the Blue Ray folks work out all the bugs. I'm in no rush to buy into that mess. I assume newer players aren't bad but they still aren't as advanced as HD-DVD and they are still too pricey.

$199 for a Panasonic Blue Ray and maybe we can start talking.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSargent View Post
    Took 30 years, but Sony finally wins one.

Yes, it's amazing how many Sony technologies and products have failed in the marketplace. Toshiba took the hit on this one but they still make some fine products.

My Denon progressive scan DVD player still looks and sounds great so it will be awhile before I go Blu-ray. If my eyes get any worse, everything will be lo-def anyway.
    --Robert

Grunge
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    Yes, it's amazing how many Sony technologies and products have failed in the marketplace.

Not really. Look at most successful individuals and/or companies and you will find most have had many setbacks on their road to success. It is an unavoidable part of research and development. Imagine how many setbacks Microsoft would have if they didn't own 90% of the marketplace. Say what you will about Sony, Apple etc. but at least they are leading in this regard rather than sitting back content to adapt other peoples' technologies. I have a great deal of respect for them in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedR2 View Post
    %^%^%^%^%%#$#@#@@@@@@!!#!@###

Quote Originally Posted by HammerJoe View Post
    So Toshiba was the only manufacturer that made HDDVD players?

No wonder the format died...
    Sony and Samsung have 92% of the BD market.

Can we expect it to die soon, too?

-gmd
    with Star Choice from Feb.8, '02 until July 21st, '09
    with ExpressVu from Jan.23, '07 until Feb.03, '07, since June 20th, '09
    [url="http://www.moregadgets.ca"]http://www.moregadgets.ca[/url]

The 92% market share will go down though. With Denon, Panasonic, Sharp and LG releasing players, i'm sure that market share will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
    The 92% market share will go down though. With Denon, Panasonic, Sharp and LG releasing players, i'm sure that market share will drop.
    And hopefully prices. I see that Sony is bringing out new network connected players later this spring.