Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Projector

Projector

Suggestions on a HD projector, I have a 6100 receiver and currently own a Hitachi (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-PJ-TX10.htm) would like to upgrade to 720p/1080i if you think it would be worthwhile.

PARRNAN
    Quote Originally Posted by ottoex View Post
    Suggestions on a HD projector, I have a 6100 receiver and currently own a Hitachi (http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-PJ-TX10.htm) would like to upgrade to 720p/1080i if you think it would be worthwhile.
    I upgraded from a Sanyo PLV-Z2 (native 720p) to a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 (native 1080p) and my only comment is WOW !!!

Well I'm convinced.
    Seriously, how does the projector do in normal lighting? I'm retiring the Sony RPTV to the living room this year and considering the 1080p Sanyo for the basement.

The room must be pretty dark for any of the ones I've seen in operation.
    [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/GLogan/giveadamnprogress2mz.gif[/img]

[b]She Looks Good From Far, But She's Far From Good[/b]

That is my impression as well. I was convinced not too long ago that my next TV was going to be a projector. The allure of having a big screen was attractive. However, after chatting with a guy from my local electronics store I was no longer convinced. I ended up buying a 50 plasma TV on boxing day and have been extremely happy. You simply can't beat a plasma TV for color, brightness, contrast and viewing angle. It's the first TV I've had where black is really black. The only drawback is the amount of power it consumes. You realize that when you unpack it and look at the power cable that comes with it

In the next few years, there will be laser based projectors on the market for HDTV. It may even be this year. At present, there are two different products coming out that are very small and portable. Here is info on one of them.

World's Smallest Projector Set for Launch

Dubbed SHOW, the lensless PicoP projector is designed for home and business use, and uses tiny lasers to shoot a WVGA (848 by 480, roughly DVD resolution) image on virtually any surface that isn't a dark color or textured. It can even project onto curved and uneven surfaces. From a distance of two feet, it could project a two-foot diagonal, full-color image on a white T-shirt. From five feet away, it could show a five-foot image on, say, a white wall or ceiling.

Pico Projector Displays: Overview

Shipping SHOW projectors could sell for between $200 and $300.

I know that these are not HDTV at this time but I did read an article that it isn't that hard to move to HDTV resolutions.

The other one is LED based and is supposed to be cheaper.

Grunge
    Quote Originally Posted by HT Gearhead View Post
    Well I'm convinced.
    Seriously, how does the projector do in normal lighting? I'm retiring the Sony RPTV to the living room this year and considering the 1080p Sanyo for the basement.
    Some projectors do fine in normal lit rooms. One that comes to mind is the latest Panasonic 720p model (not the 1080p) which according to Projector Central is a light cannon. Others do not have the same light output and would likely be a poor choice for a well lit room.

I had been looking at the Optoma HD80. Too bad the repairs to my Toshiba were so inexpensive, I didn't have a valid reason to upgrade :-)

CDN street price is acceptable...

http://www.shopbot.ca/p-62151.html

HarmsWay
    I've had a Sanyo PLV-70 for over 5 years. I think it's still considered one of the brightest projectors but I can't imagine using it a room without light control unless your screen is only 60 inches. Projectors are easily overwhelmed by ambient lighting. They are also temperamental and expensive but there is no substitution for big. Sure I could sit 3 feet in front of my 50 inch TV and watch a movie but I never do. I'll always take the projector because I can watch with a bunch of friends and everyone gets a good picture.

A update on this product.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSat View Post
    In the next few years, there will be laser based projectors on the market for HDTV. It may even be this year. At present, there are two different products coming out that are very small and portable. Here is info on one of them.
    Dubbed SHOW, the lensless PicoP projector is designed for home and business use, and uses tiny lasers to shoot a WVGA (848 by 480, roughly DVD resolution) image on virtually any surface that isn't a dark color or textured. It can even project onto curved and uneven surfaces. From a distance of two feet, it could project a two-foot diagonal, full-color image on a white T-shirt. From five feet away, it could show a five-foot image on, say, a white wall or ceiling.
    Ya, I know that this is over a year old but I came across this video today on this product and thought it would be interesting.

Laser Pico Projector Microvision "SHOW" (youtube)

The video show the capabilities and the actual projector module.