Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: How to replace the hard drive on your starchoice dsr530 (pics)

  1. #21
    A special thanks to our friend and fellow field tester out East for allowing us to plagaurize his article for the benefit of our other friends.
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73790

    I'm VERY interested to hear other success stories as well as those that attempt the USB external mod mentioned in my article.

    For *C fans, this is an opportunity to get a leg up on Bev's new PVR with increased storage and potentially 'enable' external storgae, even without a *C f/w upgrade.

  2. #22
    Nu-tech electronics sells a security kit for $12.95 and I believe this is one of them.

    Just an FYI for our Niagara/Hamilton Wentworth members.

    Kryspy

    P.S. Thanks for at least posting images on an external source so us "banned" folk can at least view it.
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700

  3. #23
    Starchoice530Hack
    Guest
    Update:

    Finally had the drive full last night.
    When it reported that the disk was full, the disk had 40hours worth of HD material and 10 hours of SD material.
    It means that the receiver is pretty accurate.

    It has been a week and I am happy to report no lockups/crashes.
    I wonder if the drive has a bigger role in the stability of the machine!

    Also with the disk full of shows, it was still pretty fast loading the dvr list and starting/stopping/deleting shows.
    Obviously the faster drive with larger cache is paying off.

  4. #24

    Seagate 750Gig drive seems to work so far?

    I am trying a 750Gb drive...

    Just received it today and so far its is working well...

    Shows 538hrs Std Def and 132hrs HD...

    I have just recorded and replayed about 15 minutes of HDnet with DD5.1 and its working perfectly so far...

    I'll provide an update after I have recorded a number of programs etc...

  5. #25
    Wow... that is simply amazing.
    This is huge news.

    I am surprised that it actually works.
    What is the temperature reported in the diagnostics screen when using the reciever at max (recording one show and watch a recorded one at the same time, preferably both HD shows)?

    This is an important development. With the confirmation that the 530 can handle bigger drives it becomes much more attractive to the user despite the price.
    I will be interested in replacing on mine to a big drive when *c decides to implement searchable guide to tape all these shows.

    I just wonder if *c gets wind of this if they will cripple the receiver in future firmware versions to now allow these drives?
    Btw what drive are you using?
    [b]Show me the money![/b]
    [img]http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mkmclean/sig.jpg[/img]

  6. #26
    In reality, what do they care about the amountof storage space that you have?

    I doubt they will invest the time in trying to secure which drive is used.

    ExpressVU on the other hand would and would call those people who do hackers.

    Kryspy
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700

  7. #27
    dishguy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post
    In reality, what do they care about the amountof storage space that you have?
    I don't think they care about the drive size but I can see them worrying about issues with overheats and people who criple the receiver themselves by not being careful enough while attempting this.
    If my son saw this I can see him wanting to try it just for kicks.
    If they start getting calls related to this they are going to be paying extra for CSRs or having even longer wait times.

    I doubt they will invest the time in trying to secure which drive is used.

    ExpressVU on the other hand would and would call those people who do hackers.
    I agree completely with both these statements.
    Star Choice moves way to slow on software to getr anything written to lock it down
    An BEVu is paranoid to the point of a poor relationship with real customers

    If I were them SC I would be getting a tamper seal on the newer units ASAP.
    Then if people try this they will be a little more wary and SC will have some proof that it has been tampered with to limit warranty repairs on people who wreck their receiver by doing it incorrectly and damage an interior component.

    I am not saying this is a problem for people who follow the directions listed here carefully.
    We all know some people are willing to go way outside their competentcy and then try to get the manufacturer to cover their a$$ when they bugger the unit up.
    Especially when they see that the manufacturer/vendor has left a loophole like no tamper seal.

    Cool hack though!

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by dishguy View Post
    If I were them SC I would be getting a tamper seal on the newer units ASAP.

    Then if people try this they will be a little more wary and SC will have some proof that it has been tampered with to limit warranty repairs on people who wreck their receiver by doing it incorrectly and damage an interior component.
    If I was SC I would be modifying the receiver like the PS3 and putting a drive carrier into the receiver to users can upgrade as wanted. Promote the ability and let the customer enjoy.

    They could also offer an upgrade service to customers willing to pay.

  9. #29
    dishguy
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MeSat View Post
    If I was SC I would be modifying the receiver like the PS3 and putting a drive carrier into the receiver to users can upgrade as wanted. Promote the ability and let the customer enjoy.

    They could also offer an upgrade service to customers willing to pay.
    That makes sense so I would expect Star Choice to not do it.

    Seriously though they have little option of getting a major change like that in a Motorola made receiver.
    They are having trouble getting software issues resolved at this point.
    I know it doesn't seem like a major change to you but for Star Choice to introduce a new model with that ability is like the Pope suddenly realizing contraception isn't so bad.

    Makes sense to everyone else but past experience tells me they will work harder to find a way to not see the good side of it than to think of the positive aspects.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by dishguy View Post
    That makes sense so I would expect Star Choice to not do it.

    Seriously though they have little option of getting a major change like that in a Motorola made receiver.
    They are having trouble getting software issues resolved at this point.
    I know it doesn't seem like a major change to you but for Star Choice to introduce a new model with that ability is like the Pope suddenly realizing contraception isn't so bad.

    Makes sense to everyone else but past experience tells me they will work harder to find a way to not see the good side of it than to think of the positive aspects.
    Oh I understand all to well. SC is a very small customer compared to the Dish/EV market for receivers.

    The pope comment is for another thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •