Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

How to replace the hard drive on your starchoice dsr530 (pics)
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to replace the hard drive on your starchoice dsr530 (pics)

Starchoice530Hack

How to replace the hard drive on your starchoice dsr530 (pics)

Hi,

Here is a quick guide on how to replace the dsr 530 hard drive with a bigger one.
    I wanted to try with a 320Gb but I could not find one locally and ordering it online could result in a hassle to return it, as right now the only know drive to work is the 250GB.

Here is what you need:

I bought the bit from newelectronx.com and the part is named "Motorola Security drivers Open Tool Key Bit". Alltogether it costed $9.90Cad

The HD 250G|ST 7K 16M ATA100 ST3250620A was bought at Pcvonline.com and total price shipped was $90.00

Cont...

Starchoice530Hack

part 2..

Here is the reciever before:

and after:

Notice the metal sinks on the sides of the drive to keep it cool:

All there is to do is to just unscrew first the heatsinks on the side to remove them and then those at the bottom to remove the drive altogether.
    The metal sinks might look they are glued to the drive because there is a rubbery band that is kinda sticky, you might need to use a little bit of force to take them apart.

And here is the reason why Seagate are the only recommeded drives:

I dont know why Motorolla decided to use this inhouse contraption when it could save a few cents on every unit by just using regular usb and power cables.
    Cont...

Starchoice530Hack

part 3:

A picture of the infamous fan that has caused some people some grief because of the noise:

It is just a regular fan, I am sure it could be replaced with a much better and quieter fan if necessary.
    There are really no modifications that I can see to it.
    The metal plate that the fan sits on is not attached to anything and the fan is stuck with those four blue plastic clips that can be removed easily.
    A closer look:

Here are the two drives side by side:

Make sure that the cable pin on the 250Gb is set up the same as the 160Gb just in case:

Cont...

Starchoice530Hack

part 4:

It is a straight swap, make sure that the connector is put in properly, dont forget the rubber bands between the drive and the heatsinks and close the box.

Pretty straightforward and easy.
    I tried to plug the 160Gb drive in my computer, but for some reason Bios would not post with it. So I cannot see whats in it.

Goto to Options 4-6-9-8-8 and do a factory reset to format the drive and call starchoice to rehit the machine.
    The result :

217Gb free to be used at will.
    And check the temperature? 31 degrees baby.
    During normal operation it reached 51 degrees, theres still plenty of room before the fan kicks in.

What does it look like on the dvr list?

(Sorry for the bad tv shots)
    Sweet deal, 40HD hours to use and abuse.
    Too bad I could not get a 320Gb drive to test, maybe in the future.
    Hope this helps.

So it makes you wonder why they did not install a larger hard drive in the first place? What is the difference in costs beween the two drives?

This looks like a good candidate for the following disclaimers:

kids, don't try this at home and
    a lesson in voiding your warranty.

WOW! Thanks for the post.
    I'm pretty sure a poster over at DHC indicated that a standard drive was not sufficient. The consumer grade drives are rated for continual use and higher temperatures.

Starchoice530Hack
    Just to answer the two above posters.

kids, don't try this at home
    It is a pretty easy procedure to do, if anyone knows what a Hard drive and how to operate a screwdriver they can do this.

A lesson in voiding your warranty
    Motorola forgot to add a warranty seal.
    I guess they were too confident in the security screws they use.
    That means if the machine needs to be replaced it is just as easy to put the old drive back and send it away and they wont know.
    There no modifications done inside the receiver other than the drive itself.

So it makes you wonder why they did not install a larger hard drive in the first place? What is the difference in costs beween the two drives?
    You have to wonder that too, but you have to consider this is two year old technology, at the time 160Gb was pretty big.
    As for the costs, probably not too much, I paid $90 for the drive, I dont think the 160 is that much cheaper...

I'm pretty sure a poster over at DHC indicated that a standard drive was not sufficient.
    Due to the fact that the receiver uses a homemade ide and power connector reduces the choice to Seagate drives only.
    But Seagate makes good drives so I dont see a problem with it.

The consumer grade drives are rated for continual use and higher temperatures.
    Same as any drive these days I would think.
    If you look at the bottom last screenshot, the temperature is @ 31degrees.
    The highest I've seen it was 51degrees which is no different than the regular drive. And dont forget that the fan is off and only turns on if it reaches 60.
    Lots of room in that department.

And as a final comment I actually find the unit to be more responsive and smoother, it could be because of the larger cache of the drive.
    No problems/locks so far since last saturday.

piece of cake

I performed this same upgrade over a month ago. I mean, come on. A 160GB drive on an HD recorder? This is just lame. My 530 works great. I keep the 160 as a spare for the eventual hard drive failure - once formatted it can be swapped without a hit from SC. Note: ALL drives do eventually fail.

The upgrade is easy, and results in more usable space. The 250GB drive should be the stock drive - in fact, it IS the stock drive for the thousands of units sold by SC to Ford for private use. So there is precedence for the use of a drive of this size.

Heat is always an issue with anyone's satellite DVR. They cannot be placed into confined spaces. The difference in heat generation between a 160Gb 5400RPM drive and a 250GB 7200ROM drive is not enough to sweat.

The 530 is far enough behind the market technically, but you can at least get a reasonable amount of storage. Next up is to test 400-500GB drives in anticipation of name-based recording, etc.

chmod

Is there a specific model you have to buy? What is the max. size the 530 will accept?

Kryspy
    1) Samsung PN50B530 Plasma, Shaw Direct DVR-630,PS3 Slim, Pioneer VSX-815 7.1, Harmony 880
    2) Toshiba 32AV500 720p LCD, Shaw Direct DVR-530, WDTV HD Live, Harmony 700

My understanding is that not only do they have that funky IDE USB adapter to lock you to Seagate drives, that the "BIOS" is also locked to Seagate drives and that USB-IDE controller chipset.
    Your TiVo expert. TiVo user since 2004.