Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Subbing To C/KU BAND Channels?

  1. #1

    Subbing To C/KU BAND Channels?

    Is it possible to sub to Canadian channels on the Anik sats in the US and in Canada via subscription? But more in the US?


    I know the single reaches that far so receiving them via the signal wouldn't be a problem, just subbing to them might be?

    And is BPM:TV available on C/KU Band?

    Thanks
    Welcome To OC TRANSPO
    <b>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Zr5s8Nmew
    Watch The OC Video

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
    Is it possible to sub to Canadian channels on the Anik sats in the US and in Canada via subscription? But more in the US?


    I know the single reaches that far so receiving them via the signal wouldn't be a problem, just subbing to them might be?

    And is BPM:TV available on C/KU Band?

    Thanks
    Yes, but only the ones available via StarChoice. Canadians can take their Star system down to the US with them. US residents need to get someone in Canada to set up an account for them. The signal is fairly good from what I hear, however in the deep south you may need the larger dish.

    BPM is not on C band that I know of. If it's on Ku band it would only be if Star carries it. I don't know if they do or not.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by deadfly View Post
    Yes, but only the ones available via StarChoice. Canadians can take their Star system down to the US with them. US residents need to get someone in Canada to set up an account for them. The signal is fairly good from what I hear, however in the deep south you may need the larger dish.

    BPM is not on C band that I know of. If it's on Ku band it would only be if Star carries it. I don't know if they do or not.
    OPPS I should of been more clearer. I should of said using a C/KU BAND Dish & receiver. Can you still sub to Canadian channels that way?
    Welcome To OC TRANSPO
    <b>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Zr5s8Nmew
    Watch The OC Video

  4. #4
    No, the only available Canadian c band is occasional FTA analog and some DVB feeds.

  5. #5
    Generally no.

    Technically you can subscribe to SC with their Dish and receiver. IMO, if you were in a position to chose that, you could consider BEV also. For either Canadian DTH system, you should have its own dish separate form Cband, to keep the other half happy, at least.

    Most C/Ku pay TV systems are US 4DTV (920,922,905) with a VCII+/RS analog descrambler. None of those can be subscribed to Canadian channels.

    Now if you have a DSR921, you could digitally subscribe to Starchoice, but not US 4DTV channels, and US analog on the VCII+/RS board.

    There is no real consumer authorisation system or receivers for the PowerVu encrypted stuff at all, as there is for VCII+/DCII.

    Subscribing to other than ExpressVu and Starchoice satellite providers is OT at this forum, so we will not go there.
    Your TiVo expert. TiVo user since 2004.

  6. #6
    So in other words if I was move lets say to LA and I didn't want SC but wanted still to have Canadian TV with out getting SC or BEV I'm basically SOL!!.

    Very strange you can buy C/KU Band dishes & receivers in canada, yet no one offers the subscription services by not subbing to SC but from some other sat dealer provider like they have for US packages doesn't exist for Canadian subscribers? I find very bizzare.

    Then whats the purpose of getting a C/KU Band system when more or less you can get Dish,DTV,SC or BEV to get most of the channels?

    Yeah you can get some but there probally either ethnic or not anything interesting. More or less its just more for US service not Canadian.


    I still find it hard to believe that no one can or wants to offer a Canadian version of whats available on US packagers.

    Example

    HBO
    SCI-FI
    some superstations
    and some other specialty channnels.

    but here in Canada as an example via C/KU Band
    TMN or MC(depending on where live)
    Space
    HGTV
    BOM:TV
    MUCH MUSIC
    some locals
    and some other speciallty channels.

    I still find it hard to believe this isn't available in canada without having to sub to SC or BEV.
    Welcome To OC TRANSPO
    <b>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Zr5s8Nmew
    Watch The OC Video

  7. #7
    SC and Bell are the only authorized satellite service providers in Canada. Once upon a time before these existed there was a service you could subscribe to on C Band in Canada but it is no longer around. The only Canadian channels you can receive via satellite without SC or Bell are those that are not encrypted. Half a dozen or so. Some English, some French.

    The main reason to put up a C Band dish is to pick up things not available on SC or Bell and to get picture quality that is actually watchable. On C Band you get to watch the original feed from the networks, not the extremely compressed versions on SC and Bell. C Band is the only place I know of where you can access full HD as well. Some terrestrial HD may be good, but the HD on SC and Bell is quite poor compared to C Band.

  8. #8
    Why there is no Canadian equivalent of the US C-band is largely based on the fact that Canada doesn't have much satellite space, partly to the Anik E failures of 1994 or so, and because the first try, PowerVu pre-MPEG2, wasn't particularly amicable to home satellite reception.

    What ended up happening, was the function of C-band (distributing cable programming to headends) was taken over by what would become Starchoice, but had to sell their service to residential customers by "cable rules", because cable couldn't compete with the Ala-Carte the pre-Starchoice wanted to offer.

    Real Canadian C-band is largely internal network feeds (Global, CTV, CBC), or backhauls and such.

    As to why most of the US cable channels are not available into Canada (legally), that is mostly to protect the business interest of the Canadian cable channels, which to some extent have the rights a great deal of the programming on US cable channels, and the US cable channels largely don't have Canadian rights to the programming they carry.
    This has beed discussed ad-nausem for the past ten or more years.
    Your TiVo expert. TiVo user since 2004.

  9. #9
    Considering how few people want to have a 10 foot dish in their back yard it's also mostly pointless. The a la carte system they had/have for programming options in the US is probably the most consumer friendly TV system I've ever seen. Even so, most BUD subscribers in the US have taken down their big dishes and moved over to DISH.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by deadfly View Post
    The main reason to put up a C Band dish is to pick up things not available on SC or Bell and to get picture quality that is actually watchable. On C Band you get to watch the original feed from the networks, not the extremely compressed versions on SC and Bell. C Band is the only place I know of where you can access full HD as well. Some terrestrial HD may be good, but the HD on SC and Bell is quite poor compared to C Band.
    That used to be true for the most part but more and more C Band master feeds are being replaced with HITS and NPS reuplinks for the home market and the PQ is less than stellar on these feeds. In a side by side comparison the reuplinks are at par with the SD feeds on my 9200. As for HD most of the BEV HD channels look almost as good as the 4DTV feeds on the 9200 but not quite. A little softer but I wouldn't call them poor by comparison. Still quite watchable. The 6100 and earlier HD receivers did a crappy job on SD and adequate on HD which is why BEV's PQ was never impressive until the 9200 came out. At least now it's watchable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •