Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CRTC Complaint site....

IP redirects ....

Quote Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
    snip snip

if CRTC can begin to force IP addresses to be redirected (I suppose it may already be happening) snip snip
    It is already happening ... try going to www.google.com and see how far you get!

I had to do a whatis search for google's US ip address and enter www.google.com/ncr to get to the real GOOGLE and it still identifies you as a Canadian and invites you to go to google.ca !

Try going to any number of US sites and accessing video. For example, go to www.nbc.com and access Steve Martin's SNL pages - try viewing one of his video's. It will tell you pretty fast that you can't see the video from Canada. Someone in Canada has the rights to the broadcast. It doesn't matter that it isn't available because the Canadian owner hasn't posted it. Just too bad for you! Business - Canadian style!

Arrow

That's as much to do with copyrights as it is broadcasters or the CRTC. A lot of copyrighted material is blocked at the US border (to all other countries) at the request of the copyright holder. Worldwide revenues are as important as US revenues to media companies. Why should they distribute it for free on the internet when they can collect a fat fee from foreign broadcasters? We face the same situation with internet music services as we do TV and movies. License terms must be negotiated and fees negotiated before anything goes over the internet. If NBC, for example, wanted to purchase/retain worldwide rights for their programming, that would be a different matter, but they don't. Canada gets some preferential treatment due to its proximity and close ties with the US but we also have a copyright treaty with them.
    --Robert

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    That's as much to do with copyrights as it is broadcasters or the CRTC. A lot of copyrighted material is blocked at the US border (to all other countries) at the request of the copyright holder.
    It is thus, and thus it has always been. But since the beginning of cable TV in the 70's Canadian broadcasters have been purchasing the rights to American networks in bulk and then cherry picking what they want to actually broadcast. The other day on DISCHD there was an announcement for some particular show. Looked interesting, so I went to try and set up a recording session on the PVR. Well, DISCHD isn't picking it up so I can't watch it. LEGALLY.

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, especially now with TSN2 there shouldn't be too much in the way of Nascar/Formula1 that you can't see in Canada. The exception might still be the weekend the British Open is on; you can usually find at least 3 Canadian channels plus two US channels showing the Open with a delayed broadcast of the Formula1 race. However, if the Nextel Cup race gets rained out on Sunday, there is every likelihood you won't be able to watch it in Canada as it is usually broadcast on TNT2 or ESPN2 in the states and you can't LEGALLY watch it in Canada.

Just another example of how the CRTC protects the rights of Canadian broadcasters to continue to make $$$ while leaving the consumer to pick up the bill for the regulators 100K+ salary and expense cheques.

dishguy
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaMan View Post
    In business the best way to protest is with your wallet. When Star Choice starts simsubing my USA channels then I will be looking for a subscription through my internet connection.

Three examples:

http://www.satellitetvpc.g-review.co...ID=62287844513
    Sorry but I disagree in this case.
    All you are doing is running away from the problem and allowing the regulators to push you farther into a corner.
    I agree you need to speak with your wallet but you must also speak up with actual words or your complaint is only ever heard by the people who can't and won't change the system.

Quote Originally Posted by dishguy View Post
    Sorry but I disagree in this case.
    All you are doing is running away from the problem and allowing the regulators to push you farther into a corner.
    I agree you need to speak with your wallet but you must also speak up with actual words or your complaint is only ever heard by the people who can't and won't change the system.
    But if you leave and you let the carrier know why you leave, you do something. Especially when they are not making money.

I do agree that the CRTC needs to change their act but over the decades, they have become a tool of the government that appointed them. How long has it been since they have been gutted.

Here's an even more bizarre example of why the CRTC needs to be totally shut down.

Today I switched on to CBS HD for the Buick Invitational PGA tournament. There was no Canadian net logo showing, but when they went to commercial it was obviously a Canadian channel that was being simsubbed. I checked the 3 Canadian OTA network's local stations... no golf. Also no golf on TSN or Sportsnet. WTF? I stayed with it until a station break came up and I could see it was a Global signal. Only problem is that the local Global station was not carrying golf. How can you have a simsub of something that isn't being shown in the first place?

If it wasn't such a futile effort to complain to the CRTC, I would do so, but the usual canned response I have already gotten a few times isn't going to do much good. They will tell me that they allowed Expressvu to simsub at the uplink source in Toronto and that is why it happened. That decision needs to be rescinded.

Thumbs up

I've seen a number of simsub screwups on BTV lately. They must have promoted or, more likely, fired the only competent person they had in that department. The CRTC mandates simsubs but they have no say in the day to day operations of a BDU. The BDUs can totally mess up every simsub they do (like BTV did to HD simsubs a couple of years ago) and the CRTC will ignore the issue. I have a feeling that a high volume of consumer complaints about BTVs total incompetence with HD simsubs is what caused the CRTC to start ignoring consumer complaints. Now we must try and resolve the issue directly with the BDU. Good luck with that.
    --Robert

Shaw direct simsubs the toronto global and city no CTV on Detroit stations for people in Calgary, I thought the rule was to sim sub your local stations only and if your in Calgary then its Calgary HD, now Lethbridge stations on SD are NOT hd SO LETHBRIDGE SHOULD GET zERO SIMSUBS ALONG WITh Cranbrook and Creston.

oops cap locks got stuck on so sooooooorry