Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Garage doors and darkness...

  1. #1

    Garage doors and darkness...

    I have a misbehaving garage door opener. It works fine and the remote works fine, but the courtesy lights don't come on any more when you open or close the door.

    The opener is a "Beaver" brand, which means it's about 15 years old (I think the brand was a "Stanley" knockoff). It has a twin next to it that's working fine.

    The light bulbs in the misbehaving opener are also OK.

    I'm not very handy, but I'm thinking that maybe there's a fuse in there that controls the lights that's blown?

    Any ideas or help appreciated.
    "Keep an eye on me; I shimmer on horizons" -- Throwing Muses, [I]Shimmer[/I]

  2. #2
    I think you may have the exact same openers as I did originally when I bought my house 12 years ago. I bought mine at the Beaver store (now an RV dealer) on Highway 16 (now Prince of Wales drive) - and you're right, they are re-branded Stanley openers.

    I had the same problem. There is no fuse for the bulbs. Mine burned out the relay that controls the lights (can you still hear the relay click?), probably because I put bulbs in there that were rated higher than the maximum wattage (my bad!). After a few months or procrastinating, I decided to replace it rather than fix it.
    ExpressVu 9242 DVR, 9200 DVR
    JVC 61Z575 61" D-ILA RPTV
    Viewsonic N3252W 32" 720p LCD

  3. #3
    It is most likely the relay or triac that controls the lamp.

    Lamp wattage ratings are usually rated for heat the bulbs would generate, rather than the power they draw, and the relay or triac would be rated for current or power, usually the equivalent of 300W.
    Your TiVo expert. TiVo user since 2004.

  4. #4
    Thanks. I'm guessing replacing would involve finding an obscure part and soldering... ?

    I actually replaced the bulbs with CFs. They weren't drawing more than 52 watts.
    "Keep an eye on me; I shimmer on horizons" -- Throwing Muses, [I]Shimmer[/I]

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Sandrock View Post
    Thanks. I'm guessing replacing would involve finding an obscure part and soldering... ?

    I actually replaced the bulbs with CFs. They weren't drawing more than 52 watts.
    Hmm, I'm no electrical engineer, but I wonder if the CF bulbs and their ballasts could cause some malfunction in the opener. Maybe the startup current required by the instant-start ballasts burned out something in the opener?

    For my openers, I use those "work" or "garage door opener" incandescent bulbs with the stronger filaments and higher voltage (130V) ratings. My garage is completely uninsulated, and I find that the CFs don't start up when it is -20 C or below.
    ExpressVu 9242 DVR, 9200 DVR
    JVC 61Z575 61" D-ILA RPTV
    Viewsonic N3252W 32" 720p LCD

  6. #6
    I actually replaced the bulbs with CFs.
    CFs can cause a problem with some types of electronic switches. Some CFs, such as those sold by Costco, are rated for cold weather but many are not. Fluorescents are generally not a good idea in cold or unheated areas.

    Almost everyone replaces the whole board these days since parts are hard to find, many boards are extremely difficult to fix and labour is too expensive. If you can find an old controller with a good board, that might be the best bet. If you don't want to replace the door opener, maybe a motion actuated switch will do the job for the general lighting. I picked one up at Rona for about $25.
    --Robert

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    If you don't want to replace the door opener, maybe a motion actuated switch will do the job for the general lighting. I picked one up at Rona for about $25.
    Oh great idea! Thanks!
    "Keep an eye on me; I shimmer on horizons" -- Throwing Muses, [I]Shimmer[/I]

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    CFs can cause a problem with some types of electronic switches. Some CFs, such as those sold by Costco, are rated for cold weather but many are not. Fluorescents are generally not a good idea in cold or unheated areas.

    Almost everyone replaces the whole board these days since parts are hard to find, many boards are extremely difficult to fix and labour is too expensive. If you can find an old controller with a good board, that might be the best bet. If you don't want to replace the door opener, maybe a motion actuated switch will do the job for the general lighting. I picked one up at Rona for about $25.
    Yeah, definitely. That's exactly what I wanna say.

  9. #9

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV View Post
    CFs can cause a problem with some types of electronic switches. Some CFs, such as those sold by Costco, are rated for cold weather but many are not. Fluorescents are generally not a good idea in cold or unheated areas.

    Almost everyone replaces the whole board these days since parts are hard to find, many boards are extremely difficult to fix and labour is too expensive. If you can find an old controller with a good board, that might be the best bet. If you don't want to replace the door opener, maybe a motion actuated switch will do the job for the general lighting. I picked one up at Rona for about $25.
    Yeah, definitely. That's exactly what I wanted to say.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •