Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell TV / Shaw Direct Missing Channels Comparision

Quote Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
    On a side note I may be getting rid of BEV
    Come again?

Quote Originally Posted by NewBoy View Post
    They want to be in the satellite business, then they should find space to add more channels
    According to Jim Cummins of SC, they intend to add many more channels in the coming weeks and months so transponder space has not been raised as an issue by SC.

snoman
    Transponder space is only being wasted because the two pinheads that started their respective DTH companies decided it was a good idea to use incompatible hardware and duplicate everthing instead of sharing satellites and stick to just selling programming but that would have made too much sense considering Canada's limited orbital slots. Cancom and Telesat could have stayed out of the DTH business altogether and became strictly headend signal providers and left the DTH side to BEV/SC.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBoy View Post
    All the more reason to have only 1 DTH provider in Canada. The market in Canada is not big enough to sustain 2 companies, so why not have one strong one
    BCE's Telesat could then charge ExpressVu (owned by BCE) exorbitant rates who would pass them on to the rural folks that have no other source for TV. BEV could literally charge whatever the non-competitive market can bear.

new channels

*c vp emailed me-- said new channels coming in jan-did not tell me what ones though.

it could be worse

well I hear complaints about the basic or standard service with Bev & *C.
    Thought I would pass this on about usa providers.
    cable ( typical of most us cable)
    basic 20.00 includes 20 channels us nets sd + several shopping channels. next choice -expanded basic includes about 80 channels - 53.99- digial 58.99 includes about 50 commercail free music channels-- hd add 12.95 to the 58.99- 73.99 ! must sub to other services to get hd!- then add 15 each- for prem movie channels- hbo, etc .50 to 8.95 depending on the digial boxes. you want if you have more than one tv. you cannot get hd unless you sub to the digital tier!

dish and direct prices get really complicated beacuse of various and changing promotions and long term committments. but after the promos, you wind up paying around 60-per month for hd, and no us nets in hd in most markets. both charge an extra 4.99 for your local us nets, and the locals are the only nets you can get. no time shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    BCE's Telesat could then charge ExpressVu (owned by BCE) exorbitant rates who would pass them on to the rural folks that have no other source for TV. BEV could literally charge whatever the non-competitive market can bear.
    See Snoman's post above.

Telesat wouldn't charge the end seller, but the uplinker or broadcaster, whom would sell to the resellers you and I would do business with, be it a satellite service reseller, or a cable company.
    This is the way C-band subscriptions esentially work.
    Your TiVo expert. TiVo user since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by snoman View Post
    Transponder space is only being wasted because the two pinheads that started their respective DTH companies decided it was a good idea to use incompatible hardware and duplicate everthing instead of sharing satellites and stick to just selling programming
    Incompatible hardware?

So how is this different than Rogers & Telus for cell phones?

or

XM and Sirius for satellite radio?

Sharing satellites would bring its own set of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by starchoice View Post
    Incompatible hardware?

So how is this different than Rogers & Telus for cell phones?
    That is a ground based network, you can just poke more towers in the ground to expand it (I know it is a bit more complex than that).
    or

XM and Sirius for satellite radio?
    Those services are riding the coattails of US services that can find the means to launch their own satellites.
    Sharing satellites would bring its own set of problems.
    Not really with the right model, in which a channel is transmitted once, sold by numerous resellers, and transmitted in one "standard" format for a common base hardware platform.
    Your TiVo expert. TiVo user since 2004.

NewBoy
    Resurrecting this thread as I have decided to update the list that is at the start of the thread.

Many changes have taken place since I first posted the list several years ago. Bell still carries more channels than Shaw Direct but most of the missing on the Shaw side are HD services. However, I think in the months ahead Shaw will start adding some more HD channels as they find more room on their satellites. They just recently added Oasis HD, so consider that a taste of what's to come.

Overall, I think Shaw has a better lineup (aside from HD) than Bell as they appear to be more selective in the channels they choose to add to their lineup. Bell on the other hand is like Rogers and just adds anything and everything.