Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bell TV / Shaw Direct Missing Channels Comparision

Quote Originally Posted by QualityIsJobOne View Post
    ....ExpressVu is also missing Bloomberg TV. I watch that one quite a bit on StarChoice 510

I'm kinda suprised that ExpressVu subs aren't requesting these US channels
    Ah but in trye eality out of the 1.3+ million BEV subs & the 800.000-900,000SC subs how many are aware of all these channels? I'll bet perhaps 10%, the other 90% probally don't even know those channels exist.
    Welcome To OC TRANSPO
    <b>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Zr5s8Nmew
    Watch The OC Video

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MCIBUS View Post
    Ah but in trye eality out of the 1.3+ million BEV subs & the 800.000-900,000SC subs how many are aware of all these channels?
    ....Some of them Expressvu subs must know a little about MSNBC www.msnbc.com It's been my internet home page for years

...My wife watches/listens to "Imus In The Morning" on MSNBC from 7-8am Atlantic time weekdays getting ready for work

Evenings I watch some of "Hardball" with Chris Matthews & "Countdown" with Keith Olberbamn

+IMO MSNBC's news coverage is more timely and useful than CNN or FOX News.....they seem to be first with breaking news and have more info
    [i][b]MSNBC, Bloomberg TV, Big 10 Network HD, & Speed HD available on ShawDirect, not available on Bell[/b][/i]

So many channels and so many viewers and limited bandwidth.

How do you find an equilibrum?
    Example, the 3 new Hd channels that *c just added? How many minutes have I watched them?

Zero.
    Completely useless to me, but I know for other people they are the best channels in the world.

Now on the other hand, I am pissed of that *c is removing wgn superstation (mainly because they have two Scrubs episodes everyday).
    For someone else this channel is garbage and will be glad that it is gone.

Either way, all dandy for me, I will find something to watch.
    [b]Show me the money![/b]
    [img]http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mkmclean/sig.jpg[/img]

NewBoy

Exclamation

Meanwhile, that puts pressure on Star Choice to lease transponder space from Telesat because consumers like you seem to think that Star Choice has some kind of obligation to endlessly add more dreck to their line up just to keep up with Bell.
    It seems you have jumped to some conclusions here that are unfounded and wrong. I did not say anything about wanting SC to add every single channel they don't currently carry, I don't care if they don't add any of them. I simply posted a list so people can see what channels each provider does not carry, I am not advocating that they add 'more uselss crap'. They have enough of that already with all the locals they are forced to carry that take up bandwidth that could be used for other purposes. I don't have satellite and I don't even like Bell, if I were to get satellite I would definitely go with SC. They are a little pricey ($33. for a package full of locals is too high IMO, but that is what it is) and perhaps that is why they are turning a profit but nowdays everyone is expensive be it cable or satellite.

As for the channels they don't carry the only one I would like to see is GolTV since I am a soccer fan but I know that will never happen since Insight Sports is forcing providers to take all of their channels and SC would probably not budge on that even if they wanted to add GolTV, which I don't know if they do?! As far as HD, I don't have it so can't comment on what channels are good but by the looks of it most are simulcasts of existing SD channels so good for them for not adding this stuff. The only ones IMO that they should have are Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, TSN HD and the movie networks. I think that covers the popular ones, not sure if the Voom ones are any good.

Next time don't make assumptions about things without having actual facts to back up your accusations.

..ExpressVu is also missing Bloomberg TV. I watch that one quite a bit on StarChoice 510
    Bell Globemedia (which owns Expressvu) also owns ROB TV, Canadian business channel, that is most likely why they won't add this channel. They don't want it to compete with their channel, same thing with MSNBC. Quite illogical if you ask me since CTV Newsnet is more like CNN Headline News (which they carry) then it is with MSNBC?! But that is Bell for you

pauldryan
    Quote Originally Posted by NewBoy View Post
    It seems you have jumped to some conclusions here that are unfounded and wrong. I did not say anything about wanting SC to add every single channel they don't currently carry, I don't care if they don't add any of them. I simply posted a list so people can see what channels each provider does not carry, I am not advocating that they add 'more uselss crap'. They have enough of that already with all the locals they are forced to carry that take up bandwidth that could be used for other purposes.

Next time don't make assumptions about things without having actual facts to back up your accusations.
    I didn't suggest that you wanted SC to add every single channel they don't currently carry. I quoted you then and once again to remind you ....
    "Sorry Tom, I have to disagree. They want to be in the satellite business, then they should find space to add more channels, whether that means another satellite or leasing more transponder space, whatever- that's their problem not the consumer's."

You were pretty clear that if Star Choice wanted to be in the satellite business then they should find space to add more channels which in essence means leasing transponder space from Telesat, BEV's sister company. That's why I referred to consumers like you who just want them to add more dreck to their system; it's you who says that only by doing so will they really be in the satellite business.

I merely pointed out that Star Choice is a profitable satellite company as is despite having to compete with BEV who's access to virtually free transponder space allows them to have so much surplus bandwidth to distribute so many unprofitable channels.

NewBoy

Exclamation

Now I see what you are getting at.

I forgot I stated that but I still stand behind what I said. What you are saying is like a plumber or chef only buy a few of the tools they use instead of having on hand every tool that they need and will use- does that sound logical to you?!

They are in the satellite business so they should have extra capacity on hand in case they may launch a new channel or two or in case something happens to the satellites they are currently using. I don't know who they lease transponder space from nor do I care that Bell owns that company (how is that relevant?). What if 10 new American channels are approved, I know hell will freeze over before that happens, but point is where will they put them since they have 'no room'? I am not advocating buying 10 satellites (like Dish & DirecTV have) so you can add every single channel that ever makes it on the air but you should have excess capacity on hand. If I own a restaurant with 50 tables, I should only buy enough plates for 50 tables, what about a few extra in case some break or I need more?? The examples might be stupid but they help me make my point, which I hope you understand.

And the only reason SC is profitable is because they keep jacking up the prices at frequent intervals, anyone can do that but how many customers will you have left in the end?!

pauldryan
    There are only a limited number of orbital slots wherein a satellite can be parked to provide coast to coast coverage for DTH signals. The Canadian government has granted licenses to Telesat to occupy those spots so Star Choice cannot arbitrarily pitch their satellite into orbit over Winnipeg and retransmit any signal they can obtain.

There are even less suitable orbital slots available which could be utilized without significant disruption and expense for DTH subscribers. Those transponders that could be made available would have to be leased at great expense every month, a cost which would have to be borne by all Star Choice customers. Faced with significant rate hikes and no additional channels of no particular interest, most subs would bolt, leaving Star Choice in a very precarious position ....... they would have committed to long term leases for transponder space that carried channels of no particular value and saddled themselves with the twin problems of fewer subs and higher charges for the same services provided by BEV.

The decision to occupy underutilized transponder space from their sister company has contributed to the ongoing losses from both BEV and Telesat each month. As long as the customer base continues to grow and profits remain high in the telecommunications sector, BCE will be willing to let this condition continue. But sooner or later subscriber growth will hit a wall and BCE will have to demand profitability from its BEV unit ....... this will mean that they will have to survive by paying commercial rates to Telesat since the latter cannot be sold to foreign interests because of Canada's strategic interests.

NewBoy
    All the more reason to have only 1 DTH provider in Canada. The market in Canada is not big enough to sustain 2 companies, so why not have one strong one that will be competitive with cable as opposed to two that are struggling to keep going and have to keep raising prices to make a profit?

Sure there won't be any competition but is there really any now, Evu is doing their thing and SC is doing their's. They are not really competing against one another so aside from really high prices what would be different?

dishguy

HaHaHa

Absolutely NewBoy,
    If they were to not have any competition they would not have to raise programming fees.

I would rather have a choice of providers at the current level than have absolutely no competetive pressure to do anything other than reduce customer service and raise prices.

Sat is already competing with cable at the level they would be with only one of them around.
    There would be no reason to do more. They would have a more stable customer base and be very content with the cash flow.
    They would increase service only on a reduction of subscribers.

Canadian businesses in general have shown over many years that given a comfortable income they will not strive to increase it. Only to maintain the existing revenue base or reduce competition so as to make it even easier to maintain with less re-investment.

Not all are like this but I do not see the genreral agression that I see with other nations companies.

Quote Originally Posted by dishguy View Post
    Absolutely NewBoy,
    If they were to not have any competition they would not have to raise programming fees.

I would rather have a choice of providers at the current level than have absolutely no competetive pressure to do anything other than reduce customer service and raise prices.

Sat is already competing with cable at the level they would be with only one of them around.
    There would be no reason to do more. They would have a more stable customer base and be very content with the cash flow.
    They would increase service only on a reduction of subscribers.

Canadian businesses in general have shown over many years that given a comfortable income they will not strive to increase it. Only to maintain the existing revenue base or reduce competition so as to make it even easier to maintain with less re-investment.

Not all are like this but I do not see the genreral agression that I see with other nations companies.
    Could be worst.

Imagine if
    Alpha StarI think that was the name)
    BEV
    DTV Canada(the one that was owned by Power Corp(
    SC

Imagine if all thee 4 where stil around!!

Would it be any better?

I highly dought it. In fact I'd bet all 4 would hve less then 100,000 subs.

More competion, doesn't ncessarily mean lower prices and better service.
    Welcome To OC TRANSPO
    <b>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Zr5s8Nmew
    Watch The OC Video