Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How does Coax Compare to Optical for Sound??

Thread: How does Coax Compare to Optical for Sound??

How does Coax Compare to Optical for Sound??

I'm thinking of dropping my satellite dish in favour of digital cable. One difference I've noticed in the terminals is that sound would connect by coax rather than optical cable.

Would there be a discernable degrade in sound quality?

Re: How does Coax Compare to Optical for Sound??

Digital coaxial and optical digital should be almost exactly the same. Some will tell you they can tell the difference. But as far as I can tell they sound the same to me and I am pretty picky.

Except for the fact that I'll be retiring some good optical cables and having to buy coax equivalents, that's good to hear.

Thx,

BCTripster

For short runs you won't notice any difference, it is digital audio so as long as the ones and zeros get to the receiver it will decipher them just fine. Even without gold plated connectors! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Digital audio co-ax cables are identical to composite video cables - standard 75 ohm.. Just use a decent quality composite video cable. I've been doing that for years with my DVD player - works great!

Just make sure the converter box the cable company gives or rents to you is 5.1 ready or capable etc etc, the box the us cable company gave me is only stereo and the sound is bad compared to *C.

The write-up says Dolby Digital AC3 but doesn't explicitly specify 5.1.

AC3 is the technical term for 5:1. If a 5:1 stream is present it'll decode it.

You should be fine.

G

No, AC3 is simply an alternate term for Dolby Digital, regardless of the number channels carried, not just 5.1 channels.

Oops true.

But if it lists DD AC3 capable on the unit it will decode a 5:1 format if that information is present in the audio stream. If it didn't list this spec anywhere he'd be out of luck. Thats' why I said he'd be fine.

I guess we should define it.
    Dolby Digital is the trademark for Dolby Laboratories' AC-3 audio coding system. It is a 'lossy' audio compression system based on principles of perceptual coding. Its main application is for multichannel audio, but it supports anywhere from 1.0 channels (mono) to 5.1 channels (full surround) and also dual channel stereo (1+1).

G