Thread: Bell Expressvu HDTV Channels

Media_Man

Bell Expressvu HDTV Channels

Greetings! New poster here- but I have been visited this forum for years.
    I recently made the jump to HDTV with the anticipation of watching the networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox) in HDTV. Bell's HDTV package claims all channels are HD. Most I receive in the 16:9 aspect ratio- but some of them I only receive in the 4:3 aspect ratio WCVB & KOMO (ABC Boston, ABC Seattle). The same goes for WBZ & KIRO (CBS Boston, CBS Seattle) even during primetime. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal for Expressvu's HD package?

Re: Bell Expressvu HDTV Channels

i've had that happen. It might of been during a simo-sub, but not sure. Not that skiled in this HDTV stuff & ratio thing.

Most primetime shows on U.S. nets are 16x9, xcept those reality shows....

padito

After having over a months frustration with Bell and HDTV
    I finally got some good information in the HD TV Hardware & Programming Bell Expressvu 9200 thread check pages 47 & 48 may be of help

Media_Man

Quote:
    Programs broadcast on one of the HD channels that are not HD do not have HD in the guide title text and would show up as 4:3 with black bars. Survivor would be an example of this...
    It sounds to me like you are expecting every program broadcast on the HD channels to be in HD and that's not the case.

That explains a lot. Bell Expressvu should place a disclaimer on their website about their HDTV package- "not all channels air HDTV programming all the time"; "please check your programming guide for details." Or something to that effect.

Comcast cable does not indicate on its guide whether a program is in HD or not. You can often tune to programs in the HD "section" and find (except in prime time) programs are just the std. def. Even in prime time, many programs are still SD. You can tune to HBOHD and wind up viewing a non-HD movie! I had thought HBO HD was always HD. It is not. HBO, unlike SHO, crops HD movies - most of which are wider than 16:9. SHO shows the whole movie. You get used to the rather thin black bars on top and bottom.

...mike

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Bell Expressvu should place a disclaimer on their website about their HDTV package- "not all channels air HDTV programming all the time"; "please check your programming guide for details." Or something to that effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the originating network that decides what shows are produced and broadcast in HD. BEV (and all of the other providers) are just passing along what they get.

Yes as much as Bell is just passing along what they get some people still just do not understand that. You would be suprised at how many people thing all you need a an HD set and everything will be HD! and I am talking just the set, no receiver or sub to HD channels, the set just makes everything HD, or so they think.

BCTripster

What I think most don't understand is that during the 4:3 programming the HD channel is still 16:9 HD, just the video on the screen is centered but the actual resolution of the channel is still the same as it would be if it were a true HD video source.

This means it is still a 1920x1080 image resolution, or whatever it may be, it doesn't automatically go to 720x540 or anything when SD content is airing, instead the SD is upconverted and centered on the screen. The original HD screen size is maintained, including the 16:9 aspect.

Think of it like a computer resolution, if you run your desktop at 1280x1024 when you view a picture that is only 640x480 your desktop resolution doesn't change, instead your image viewing software will either center it on the screen or depending on settings it may "scale" it to fit the screen, it doesn't do this by changing the video cards resolution.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You would be suprised at how many people thing all you need a an HD set and everything will be HD! and I am talking just the set, no receiver or sub to HD channels, the set just makes everything HD, or so they think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know... the uninformed masses buying from the uninformed sales staff at the big box stores can lead to all kinds of mistaken impressions. I was at a friend's house the day after they upgraded to HD from the local cable company. The installer never told them that the HD was only on specific channels. They were watching a supposed HD hockey game broadcast on a SD channel. After I found the HD channel with the game, they were surprised that only some of the channels were HD.