Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
DSR530 - Tricks, tips and nits - Page 8
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: DSR530 - Tricks, tips and nits

Re: UHF Remote

My unit is pretty good at this point. A few bugs, but my kids can use it.

My 530 has been working great. We record every day - delete lots, use ff/rewind and skip ahead and back a lot.
    There are still some issues but we are happy with our unit and cant picture watching tv without it.

I have not done a reset in a couple of months. Dont remember when we had a crash either - prob be back before A4
    (prob. just doomed myself there [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

Dack

I've had a couple of minor problems,and had to do a reset half a dozen times since may.I don't have anywhere near the number of problems as others have.

Well, it it amazing that there would be this much difference between the units. Obviously those not having problems are those that are not really using these things.

These are not hardware issues. They are software issues. Many, many bugs and they are very easy to find.

Set 4 or 5 timers in a night. Ensure they are back to back timers. I can assure you that at least one of the timers will be missed. Every single night since the new season has started, at least one timer every night does not go. Tonight there were two timers out of five that we set that did not record.

There were four timers set back to back tonight:

Cold Case, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy and Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

Both Grey's Anatomy and Law and Order did not go even though the timers were set.

We were watching another recorded show at the time of the timer not firing for the first one, so I had to hit stop and exit out to go back to the IPG, press record for the event to remove the timer icon (it was just sitting there and not recording) and press it again to start the recording manually. Of course, we cannot do this when we set timers and go out, so those recordings would simply not be there when we got home.

When we went back in after manually starting the recording to continue watching the recorded event we had been watching, we chose Play and then Resume to start where we left off. The recording had jumped two scenes and we had to rewind back to the spot we had stopped the recording at. So this is yet another bug.

Previously I had tried simply hitting pause on the recorded event to go to the IPG and remove/reset the recording for the event that didn't start as set and this locked the unit completely. Try it sometime. Select an event to watch, begin watching it. Hit pause and then hit Guide. Then try to go back to the recorded even by using Go Back or Exit. The system will either lock entirely, or the video will go back and never come back. Turning the unit off/on does not matter. You have to reboot it.

Try watching a recorded event and hit the skip forward or skip back button a few times quickly. I guarantee your unit will lock. This thing should not have to be treated with kid gloves.

Try this: Hit pause while watching something on an HD channel. Then wait a few seconds and hit Info. Then simply hit select as the Go Back option on the left hand side will be selected by default. You will lose ALL video until the event is live again.

The latest A8 code has broken more than it has fixed and we have been told that there will not be another release until mid December. So for another 2 1/2 months, I cannot trust this thing to record the actual set events and have to continue to deal with and find new bugs.

I can find these bugs in a heartbeat and break this unit in a matter of seconds, yet they are not interested in having me on the beta team. Guess they don't really want to know the truth. This unit is simply not ready for prime time and should never have been released yet.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Obviously those not having problems are those that are not really using these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to tust me when I say we're really using the thing, and while it misbehaves a little, it's working pretty well.

Todd

snoman

Try watching a recorded event and hit the skip forward or skip back button a few times quickly. I guarantee your unit will lock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you pushing the buttons so quickly if you know it will cause a problem? Try using it properly instead and it shouldn't lock up as often as you say it does. I have a 4DTV sidecar and it locks up if I push buttons like crazy too, I take time to let the receiver react to each command first. I see no reason to rush through the remote like you were dialing the fire department. Now I'n not saying you don't have a faulty receiver, obviously you do, you just have to find workarounds to use it better until all the bugs are fixed. 9200s have bugs too and we figure ways to work around the bugs they have.

Try watching a recorded event and hit the skip forward or skip back button a few times quickly. I guarantee your unit will lock.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Every time I watch a recorded event I press the skip ahead button 4-5 times quickly to skip the commercials. If I overshoot it I press skip back a few times quickly. I have never, I repeat NEVER, had a lock up. At least with A8 anyways.

Obviously those not having problems are those that are not really using these things.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Whatever. Who are you to say that the people without problems are not using it properly. My guess is it's the other way around. There's really only a handful of disgruntled users that take any opportunity to jump in with their sob stories and *C bashing. The rest of us are very happy with the 530 and the MINOR bugs that are remaining.

There's really only a handful of disgruntled users

[/ QUOTE ]

From scanning this (and other) forums, it is pretty obvious that there's a fairly large number of disgruntled owners. Probably not the majority, but certainly more than a handful.

jump the wrong way

I can't figure out what's going on with this thing lately. In all honesty it's worked pretty well. I haven't had near as many problems as some people.

But lately it's driving me nuts. Last night the skip ahead button would jump me back to the begining of the recording ??
    Not just 60 seconds or so but 15 minutes.

I couldn't use that feature at all last night.

This part of the PVR has always worked perfectly. Then for some reason last night it started acting wierd.
    This is the part that I can't understand. How can something that has worked for months all of a sudden stop working?

G

From scanning this (and other) forums, it is pretty obvious that there's a fairly large number of disgruntled owners. Probably not the majority, but certainly more than a handful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay maybe two handfuls. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]