Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: DSR530 - Tricks, tips and nits

Re: Motorola most likely has one or two junior programmers w

It's my understanding that a "dual tuner" PVR (as in the 9200 right now) allows users to record two things while watching something they have already recorded.

That would work perfect for us since we only watch what we have recorded. It would also allow us to record things quicker and not wait for the West feed for example to record that night.

Exactly.

I go to bed early. I am not around during the west coast feeds
    of prime time. Dual recording after bedtime is the main advantage
    plus the advantage of watching a previously recorded 2 hour
    movie or other event that would fit a persons personal schedule better
    while recording other events.

I have, on occassion, recorded one show while watching one in the can.

One tuner per watch or record. You can't tune 3 different "live" channels to
    record two and watch the the third on a dual tuner DVR.

It is my understanding that this principle is the same for all satellite PVR/DVR's.

pauldryan

Ross, if I understand correctly, you cannot record two different channels at the same time while watching a third channel, but you are saying that you can record two different channels while watching something that has been previously recorded?

You noted that you have watched a recorded program while recording from one tuner but have you actually tried it while recording two seperate shows?

Paul

I don't know of a way to tune a specific channel for recording or watching
    without a tuner to do the job. A viewer does not need a tuner to
    view a previously recorded program, just the "playback" software.

A dual tuner DVR that has both tuners fully utilized like the Bell 9200,
    but not the * DSR530, may be compared to the following example - I think:

The output of the tuner can be used for recording or viewing.
    Think of a sat tuner as a DVD player for the purposes of this discussion.

You have 2 DVD player-only devices.
    DVD Player #1 has King Kong running, DVD Player #2 has Gone With The Wind running.

You may connect VCR #1 to the output of DVD player number #1 to record King Kong
    and VCR#2 to the output of DVD player #2 to record Gone With The Wind.

You may watch King Kong or Gone With The Wind while recording on the VCRs.

At the same time, you can't watch a third movie, Destry Rides Again,
    on DVD without a third DVD player
    (going back to the DVR comparison - a third tuner ).

pauldryan

So the only difference between BEV's two tuner 9200 and *C's two tuner 530 is that BEV's PVR allows dual scheduled recording simultaneously, while the Star Choice machine will only allow one tuner at a time for scheduled recording while simultaneously viewing a program on the other tuner (which is also being recorded for instant replay/playback purposes)or a recorded program from the hard drive.

That doesn't seem like much of a difference to me.

Paul

Well, as you know, I own a 530, but I think it is a HUGE difference.

I would love to be able to record two shows at 6:00 PM, while I watch a show from last night that I had recorded and then once those two shows have finished recording, I can watch one of them, while another two shows are recording.

For the power users and those of us who record a LOT of TV and watch a LOT of TV, dual recording at the same time is a pretty cool feature. Wish the 530 had it.

pauldryan

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I would love to be able to record two shows at 6:00 PM, while I watch a show from last night that I had recorded and then once those two shows have finished recording, I can watch one of them, while another two shows are recording.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ross says that you can watch or record, but not do both. You keep describing what you want a PVR to do and inferring that the 9200 will do just that. According to Ross, you cannot watch anything but one of the shows that you happen to be recording if you chose to record off both tuners at the same time. You will not be able to view a previously recorded show simultaneously.

Paul

I believe that to be incorrect from everything that I have read concerning the 9200. The unit allows two events to be recorded while the user can watch an already recorded event.

What does the dual-tuner do?

Watch and record. A user can watch one live program while simultaneously recording another live program, or can record two live programs while watching a third pre-recorded program on the same TV.

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/ev/9220.php

Playback of recorded shows is always possible while the tuner(s) are
    feeding live show(s) to the recording section of the DVR.

Playback of recorded material has nothing to do with tuning in live channels.

I believe that the Bell 9200 DVR can record 2 shows at once while playing back a
    previously recorded show.

Starchoice will not allow Tuner #1 to feed the DVR's recording section.
    Only one * channel can be recorded at a time, but
    you can still playback a recorded show while recording a live channel.

I think that it is a BIG thing to be able to record 2 separate channels
    at the same time. From what I have read, the DSR530 is hardware capable of
    doing just that.

pauldryan

Sorry Ross, that's exactly the question I was asking previously and your responses had led me to believe that it couldn't be done. If you can watch a recorded program while recording two others then that would be a bonus.

With full time shifting available for east and west network feeds and this latest phenomenon from the networks of rebroadcasting their latest shows twice a week, I don't miss the ability to record on both channels at all. I generally watch a first run show live unless I'm forced to record because of schedule conflicts. I suspect that you only watch your recordings which would place greater emphasis on the second recorder capability. Even if I had the capacity to record on both channels though, I'm not sure I would have the patience to wait to see my favourite shows until they were recorded.

Paul