Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFPL Television is 50 Today

dotz

CFPL Television is 50 Today

CFPL-TV London signed on 50 years ago today, Canada's second private TV station.

Here is a link to an article in the London Free Press yesterday PL's golden past
    To celebrate they are having a 2 hour special tonight at 9 "Rewind: 50 Years of Local Television on The New PL" airing on The New PL, The New NX and The New WI.

The New PL is on Star Choice channel 349 and Bell Expressvu 219

Re: CFPL Television is 50 Today

Happy Birthday, CFPL.

"Act Fast" was good (Elowy Oast, Bill Brady, et al), but CHCH's charade show with Billy Van and the gang was much better.

I can't quite remember the name of my fav local show on CFPL growing up in London. I think it was called "Take a Chance" or Take your Choice" or something like that. The host would ask a panel of highschool kids (they grew up with the show) a trivia question, and the contestant could "accept" or "reject" the answer. If the contestant got it right, the charity (usually a church group) would win $5. A big night would be $60 win. And each show they would pass around a "mystery object", and try to guess what it was used for. Oh, my, we had fun in those days. I wonder what ever happened to the kids that were on that show...

Jay Campbell, the long-time weather man at CFPL, was my Scouter at the 17th Scout troop, at the Boulee Street Scout Hall. He was probably 17 or 18 at the time...

Sow_Man

Watched that show. It sure shows how media concentration has ruined TV in Canada

Shadedmuse

It's amazing How much TV has changed over the last fifty years. People buying their first BW set in the 50's is like those that bought Colour in the 60's and Now HDTV. also I did not know Video tape came out in 59? also they mentioned they could of what colour in 56? I thought 59 was when Colour happend with Bonanza.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I did not know Video tape came out in 59? also they mentioned they could of what colour in 56? I thought 59 was when Colour happend with Bonanza.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, video was first put into commercial use in 1956, shortly after the first of Ampex's commercial units were developed. The first videotaped network program was CBS's nightly newscast with Douglas Edwards, which was taped-delay for viewers on the West Coast.

As for color TV, the first commercial shows in color were broadcasted in 1953 in the US (though experiments were done as early as the 1920s). But in Canada, it wouldn't be until 1966 when the BBG (the forerunner of the CRTC) approved colorcasting. I don't know when CFPL themselves began showing color programs.

snoman

If the show was tape delayed how did they get it to LA from NY in the same day? In '56 there were no microwave relays or satellites in orbit. Everything taped had to be hand delivered by courier. Regular shows like sitcoms no problem but live daily newscasts is another story no pun intended.

They did have airplanes back then... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JPK

snoman

I'm an idiot, I completely forgot about that. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
    [Bent over] OK kick me I deserve it. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

They had microwave then, didn't they?. Otherwise I heard they had terrestrial coax networks.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    [Bent over] OK kick me I deserve it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.....So, who was over? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]