PDA

View Full Version : What's latest Scoop on 5100 availability

**DONOTDELETE**
09-03-2001, 12:45 PM
Haven't seen anything new on 5100 availability. I phoned one dealer and he indicated not available until end of Sept. 200?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-03-2001, 01:47 PM
I got mine last Thursday and EVU would not activate it.They said that the dealers were not aloud to sell them until they (EVU)gave them the ok. I called back on Friday and they activated it for me. VERY COOL

jurassicjockey
09-03-2001, 02:01 PM
Futureshop by me told me on Wed the truck is supposed to be in. Hoping it's true!!

[This message has been edited by jurassicjockey (edited 09-03-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
09-03-2001, 11:58 PM
Most futureshops have already gotten their supply and were told they could sell them on Sept 4/01. Now if customers have their names on a list for a unit then there could be very few for the walk in crowd.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-03-2001, 11:59 PM
They will be in the stores Tuesday and/or Wednesday of this week.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-04-2001, 12:57 AM
I got our first ones last friday and was told I could sell them which I did and had no problems getting them activated, some have said on here that they won't sell cause they r too dear well I sold the first bunch already I didn't expect that either at least not that quick. it is quite a toy I am impressed I was told that *c was going to have tivo and they charge a monthly fee to have this, well if that was true it is a good thing that *c didn't go with tivo

**DONOTDELETE**
09-04-2001, 05:54 AM
The latest marketing hype I got from starchoice was that they likened the PVR in the 5100 to the betamax VCR. I guess they figure by the time its obsolete in four years(or was the betamax around longer) they will have their unit ready for sale.

snoman
09-04-2001, 10:03 AM
4 years eh?
Where did you hear that one?
No offence DG but this is exactly the kind of thing that starts rumours and misinformation and then some people take it for gospel because "they read it it on the internet so it must be true."

[This message has been edited by snoman (edited 09-04-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
09-04-2001, 02:15 PM
Well, my Betamax is still very much in use to this day. I have thousands of hours of music recorded on Beta Hi Fi and this audio collection is priceless to me.

Four years ago, a couple of thieves broke into my home and stole my two Betamaxes, among other things. I ask you, what type of idiot steals a Betamax? (Admittedly, they were both crack addicts.)

I had to go through hoops (read mucho *ss kissing) to get a replacement machine. SONY didn't have a single unit in stock anywhere in North America, so they special ordered one from Japan (a SL-HF2000). I waited over two months for it to arrive and I swear there were tears rolling down my face when I took it out of the box. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-04-2001, 05:15 PM
Now I can't get that Simpsons quote out of my head - when Snake says "Oh no. Beta."

Nodecam

Filthy
09-04-2001, 06:55 PM
Has anyone done the Trade Up option that Evu mentioned in the Press Conference? If so, what are the details?

SatMike
09-04-2001, 08:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Filthy:
Has anyone done the Trade Up option that Evu mentioned in the Press Conference? If so, what are the details?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coming soon.

Filthy
09-04-2001, 08:58 PM
How soon???????????

SatMike
09-04-2001, 09:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Filthy:
How soon???????????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know.......in the future. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 12:45 PM
Radio shack and Future shop in Richmond Hill (north of Toronto) now have them in stock ready to go to a good home for only $699 (or $649 for receiver only)

I was going to get one, but at $649 it's really a little steep for a receiver. Especially since I would now have too many (5) receivers at home to plug into a 4-port multi switch.

Unless I get rid of one...

Michel

ratovan
09-06-2001, 12:55 PM
Future Shop downtown Montreal received them yesterday. Saw the boxes on the shelves but not demo out yet and no prices on them. I had to tell the salesman what it was http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 01:33 PM
I got mine last night and it's way fun. Everytime my girlfriend yells at me for the sound being too loud I can pause it and catch up at a commercail break. This thing is truly cool. The coolest thing is the file with all the saved shows on it so you know what you have stored.

Also this box is sending all audio through the optical audio out to my Denon 1801 as opposed to my old 4700. (had the optical out and the mix to the receiver) The LOCK light is on regardless of what channel I am watching. Thats cool.

Was my 4700 screwd up then, or is that a unique feature of the 5100? I set the audio to Dolby Digital/PCM as well on both the 4700 and 5100.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 02:29 PM
I got mine yesterday at Future Shop. They didn't have any separate receivers so I was able to talk them into giving me a complete system with dish for $649. So I've now got a spare dish "just in case" at no extra cost.

Has anyone else noticed that the favourites lists are now unlimited length? The old "120 channel" limitation is gone and all four favourite lists can have any number of channels in them.

It's a great box - a bit pricey to be sure but I'm very glad I bought it.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 03:45 PM
I noticed Future Shop has a full page ad in today's Globe & Mail adverting the model 5100.

Filthy
09-06-2001, 05:04 PM
My 4700 only uses toslink as well. Set to Dolby/PCM, i've had no problems.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 05:31 PM
Futile Shop couldn't give me any clue on when their stand-alone 5100 PVR receivers would arrive in Winnipeg. (I don't need the full Monty, just the receiver.)
So, I ordered a unit from Phil via this website. It is gonna take probably 2 business days to get here, the price was good, and I feel great about supporting the folks here instead of a big-box outlet....

Regards,
A happy camper.. http://www.kusat.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-06-2001, 06:05 PM
I just got a call from Phil, the 5100's have arrived at KuSat. He said they only got the "5100 + dish" package sent to them, but they are breaking them out, and selling the pieces separately.

He also said that mine should arrive tomorrow or Monday at the latest. Yippee!

I did go to FS last night in Saskatoon, and they have the system, but only with the dish, so $699. I'm not a huge FS fan, so I don't know if I'd have bought one from them if I could have.

Nodecam

GOD
09-06-2001, 09:30 PM
Kudos for you guys supporting KU !!! I'm sure there has been days that Filou felt like pulling the Forum .

**DONOTDELETE**
09-07-2001, 04:32 AM
And still no announcement from BEV about the trade-in promotion.....are they waiting for their own shipments of 5100's to come in????

At least let us know whether or not we can buy one now from a retailer and receive the discount and trade in later.

jconnor
09-07-2001, 04:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flutie:
Also this box is sending all audio through the optical audio out to my Denon 1801 as opposed to my old 4700. (had the optical out and the mix to the receiver) The LOCK light is on regardless of what channel I am watching. Thats cool.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't understand what you mean. My 4700 is using the optical out to my av reciever since day one. What is the 5100 doing differently?