PDA

View Full Version : Switching From Round To Elliptical

**DONOTDELETE**
10-17-2002, 01:35 AM
I am in the process of switching from round to elliptical (60E Quad) on *choice (HDTV upgrade). I seem to be having a problem with the signal strength indicator. I have 4 receivers (301, 921, a new 401 and a new 405). I am currently using the 301 for dish alignment. The problem is that I am only able to get two different signal levels (5 with cable disconnected and 25 with cable attached). Regardless of direction the meter always reads 25. I have read references about having to do a refresh to update the signal strength, but my search of the forum has found nothing.

I did experiment with my 921 to see if I I could still see somehting with it. I have been able to get it to the mid 40's on A2-299 and A4-740, so I think I am in the neighborhood that should at least be aligned well enough to get hit with the correct network status update (they are currently at 4352) and channel maps.

Any suggestions?

Arthur
10-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Try one of the new IRDs to point the dish, I think you may have a problem because the maps in the old IRDs are not right for your new LNB.

I don't know if the 921 will work with the E-dish LNB????

bob5610
10-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Maps are more than likley incorrect. Go to options, 6 then 4. Use down arrow key to line K. Network line status. This line should read 321-04356. If it reads 321-04378 your maps are wrong. Call SC good luck getting through.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the response. The 921 will work, it just won't be able to switch satellites.

I have tried the 401 with similar results, meter stays at 20.

Does anyone know of a simple way to determine if I received a bad quad LNB?

Thanks in advance.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-17-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the response bob5610. The maps are actually at 4352, which is the factory default. I did actually call and get through to starchoice and they tried to hit the receiver to update the maps. When they couldn't hit it they said I need to get the signal above 30 before they could do anything (ie before the receiver would accept the maps). Chicken and egg??

I would think that using a national channel like 284, they should be able to talk to any receiver regardless of lnb type or mapping. If not they would have to make a lot of service calls since the factory default is 4352.

I am really starting to suspect a bad lnb. Just need a way to verify, before I take it back.

bob5610
10-17-2002, 04:36 PM
I had a problem when I changed to the new dish with the quad lnb. My 301 and 401 were fine the new 405 only had a signal of 25. Channel map was wrong on the 405. It took them about 45 minutes to correct it. Now Iam having the same problem again. All three of my receivers now have wrong channel maps. No programing for two days now. Don't have time to sit and wait for a csr to answer. Maybe I will try very early Saturday morning.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-18-2002, 05:22 AM
When doing a factory default reset you have to be a little patient. After doing the reset keep the receiver off for 5-10 minutes. Put it back on and until you get the A4 icon do not switch channels or anything else. When you get the icon and the green light is on you are in business and are ready to call Starchoice.

SatMike
10-18-2002, 01:11 PM
"When doing a factory default reset you have to be a little patient. After doing the reset keep the receiver off for 5-10 minutes. Put it back on and until you get the A4 icon do not switch channels or anything else. When you get the icon and the green light is on you are in business and are ready to call Starchoice."

Make sure you put the receiver on channel 284 after the reset and wait for the A4 in the satellite box on the option 6-3-1 screen. Then go to channel 299 and call SC.