PDA

View Full Version : Phone Line Filter/Signal Suppressor

**DONOTDELETE**
08-02-2002, 05:26 AM
I just switched over to ADSL high speed internet, and encountered a problem due to my sat phone line connection. I initially could not get a ADSL connection when hooking the modem and phone lines up. Tech support helped me isolate the problem: even with the supplied inline micro filter on the phone connection to the sat receiver (Bell 6000), and whether off or on, the reciever was negating my ADSL signal. Signal went good as soon as I unplugged the line to the 6000. Tech support said I would have to have my PC line split to seperate it on it's own from the sat connection (requires a service call and charge), or try and find a better inline filter for the sat connection. Does anyone know if Radio shack or a sat company makes these devices? Or, I could just leave the 6000 disconnected from the phone and plug in when ordering a movie or other ppv service.

Bert

JRB
08-02-2002, 05:36 AM
When I got my ADSL hooked up a long time ago they used a P.O.T.S splitter to isolate the the wire that went to my computer so I did not have to use any filters throughout the rest of the house.

I have no idea how much they cost but it can't be much more than $10 its just a piece of plastic with a few copper contacts on it. I also have no idea where I would find because the installers brought it and I didn't ask but it works like a charm.

Hope this helps,
JR

**DONOTDELETE**
08-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Then how come ADSL comes with the filters and not tell you to get a POTS splitter? What is a POTS splitter anyway?

Angelfish
08-02-2002, 12:50 PM
Pots=Plain Old Telephone System
the splitter is just that, you know the cheap splitters you can find at Radio Shack or your local dollar store. Shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Filthy
08-02-2002, 01:55 PM
The Telus Store sells the microfilters for $10.

RUU
08-02-2002, 04:41 PM
My (Bell) ADSL connection (with the old Nortel modem) goes flakey when I plug in my Star Choice receiver with the filter. Plugged in without the filter, the ADSL connection is normal - go figure.

peternm22
08-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Flakey? As in slow? Or it doesn't work? When unplugging the receivers, does your ADSL service speed up?

Peter

RUU
08-03-2002, 01:19 AM
Flakey as in slow with connection constantly dropping. If I take the filter off the Star Choice receiver, connection speed & stability goes back to normal.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-03-2002, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I will look into the POT splitter at radio shack tommorrow. The adsl help desk tech had implied they were more expensive than a few bucks.
I tried RUU's trick of removing the microfilter without luck. Maybe this is part of Nortels' troubles, quirky equipment!

Cheers,
Bert

Gord
08-03-2002, 04:59 AM
Before you go by a pots splitter, be warned they are not the same as a regular old telephone line splitter. They were used with older central office equipment that required it and are not needed anymore. (at least in my area.) They are quite a bit more than a few dollars too, a quick search show about 100$ US.

The filter should work unless it is defective, I use one on my 3100. I did get one that didn't work with my kit and they replaced it.

I would check the wiring to the jacks to make sure the wires go where they should red-red, green-green etc. You could also try the IRD in another jack to see if it happens there also. Ive helped set up a few in my area for friends and all the problems have come down to wiring, good enough for voice but not good enough for the higher bandwidth adsl uses.

But first I would try a different filter on the IRD, if you dont have another (the local Bell World game me a couple for free, does Telus?? have the same stores?) If not I saw them at future shop in my town. 10-15$.

Good Luck

JRB
08-03-2002, 08:51 AM
in my current house I am just using a filter on each phone no spliter. Nothing wrong with my recievers

**DONOTDELETE**
08-04-2002, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the tips Gord.
I took your advice and initially checked the wiring since I ran it in myself across a suspended ceiling and down a wall, tying in to a jack on the other side of the room. Wiring appeared to be OK, so with the last filter (the kit comes with 4) I replaced it with the one I had originally put on the sat receiver ... and it works! Suddenly no need for one of those line splitters, of which my local radio shack didn't have.
What a difference ADSL makes, I can't believe I lived with a dialup modem for so long!

Bert

BellRinger
08-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Isn't that odd. I found that if I plug my SC reciever in without the filter, my ADSL is no longer functioning.

MeSat
08-06-2002, 09:17 PM
There is a filter used to isolate the xDSL frequencies from your phones and other equipment. In my house, my filter is at the input to the house and all phones use one filter for all phones.

Depending on the filter design, it may not work with more than one phone or connection and a regular POTS splitter will cause problems. Another problem can occur due to polarity of phone connections. Some telecommunication equipment is polarity sensitive (yes phone lines are polarized) and won't work properly if connected in the wrong polarity. This is why the wires are color coded. There is also the problem with the type of wire used to connect a phone. Twisted pair wire is necessary to cut down on noise and loading of the phones. All new wiring should be the same as used for a computer.

Also, phone lines have a maximum load capability. If you look at most devices, they will have a load printed on them. If you connect to much of a load, it will cause weird and strange problems. This could also be affected by the installation of the filter.

When I went to DSL, I had a problem with my SC receiver as it tried to dial-out as a pulse instead of tone. This would affect my DSL connection and operation of the phone line.

Here is a link <a target="_blank" href=http://www.cablingdirectory.com/>with details on cabling</a> that may be of use.

North0f60
08-06-2002, 11:51 PM
The phone co i work for has about 1500 ADSL subs and i have never heard of a complaint like this before about having a dish hooked up.

BellRinger
08-08-2002, 01:53 AM
Would it be possible for you to tell me what you did to get around that problem Mesat?. That is what happens to me. I can start out with the receiver modem set to tone and if i try to force the receiver to call in it switches to pulse and then I have to do a rest on the receiver and still dont have instant ppv because my modem never gets past the "waiting fo carrier" stage. As I said I have tried to use it without the filter but it doesn't help and I end up losing my ADSL connection. The phone line is fine as I have my regular phone hooked up to it and when I had Bell the instant PPV on there was fine also. I am getting very discouraged with calling SC because they seem to have this unnatural aversion to letting me speak to a tech. One CSDR was going to phone me back after a hit to check on the progress but he didn't do that either. SC will not answer my email enquiries. In between this and the hidef problems, I am thinking of cutting down the offending tree and returning to Bell service.

MeSat
08-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Bellringer wrote:<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Would it be possible for you to tell me what you did to get around that problem Mesat?

<hr></blockquote>

My DSL modem came with a whole house filter.

In my case, the line filter is installed where the phone line comes into the house. All voice phones are wired past this point. My DSL modem is actually in the basement where the phone line comes into the house. I then connect to a router/firewall(in basement) and then the computers.

Another thing, the jack where the DSL modem is plugged into may be wired different, depending on the installer. I have come across installations where the tech has changed pairs on the jack for the DSL modem.

I have all the necessary tools for checking phone lines at my disposal.

Did a tech install a whole house filter or individual line filters?

1. Try another phone in the jack that the receiver is connected into. See if it works or affects the DSL link. Plug the receiver into a known good jack and see what happens at the same time.

2. Check the settings on your receiver and insure that it is set for tone dialing. If it isn't, a call to SC will be necessary. Call and ask the CSR to flag your account that it needs to be tone dialing. I had to call twice on this matter. I am not sure, but I think with the latest upgrade, you might be able to do this.

3. Ensure all the phones are wired after the filter or have individual filters wired.

4. I am not sure about polarity effects of the SC receiver. I will have to do a test at home.

Older houses and apartments are wired in many different formats. Wiring standards are not maintained and jacks are connected in some cases just to get things to work.

Here are two links that may be of interest and assistance.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.levitonvoicedata.com>Leviton Voice and Data</a> with home multimedia hardware.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/wiring.asp>Leviton wiring information</a> including standards and wiring codes for phones and computers.