PDA

View Full Version : Sketcher's saga continues

**DONOTDELETE**
07-25-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi everybody!
What a beautiful evening it was last night! Clear skies, sun shining... perfect weather to point a dish. AND NOT GET ANYTHING!

<breathe...>
Ok... here's the deal. Bell ExpressVu. Pointing it. Second try in a week. 'Wrong Sat - EchoStar 119W signal strength 100%'.

After 2 hours, I still can't find Nimiq. But I get Echostar within 5 notches on my elevation and practically no matter where I point. 100% signal strength. WRONG SATELLITE!

Someone's pointing at me and laughing. I can tell. There's a gremlin somewhere. Or Nimiq was really launched by the devil.

Am I right to assume that trees aren't a problem because I'm getting Echostar like bees to honey? Am I right to assume that the mast is as vertical as vertical can be because I'm getting EchoStar at 100%?

Should I get a professional to install it? Let him (or her) deal with it while I consult Jack and Daniel?

mikealex
07-25-2002, 01:11 PM
"Am I right to assume that trees aren't a problem because I'm getting Echostar like bees to honey?"

Nope. Nimiq is in a different position than Echostar's sat. You can have a clear line of site to Echostar, but have trees in the way of Nimiq. But, I think it is fairly obvious when trees are the culprit.

"Am I right to assume that the mast is as vertical as vertical can be because I'm getting EchoStar at 100%? "

Nope again. The post being vertical has no effect on the signal quality; it just makes it easier to find the satellite. If the post is not vertical, then as you move the dish from side to side, you are also changing the elevation.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-25-2002, 04:14 PM
Which E* sat does it say you found?

If it is 110 then you are very close.

MeSat
07-25-2002, 06:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Nope again. The post being vertical has no effect on the signal quality; it just makes it easier to find the satellite. If the post is not vertical, then as you move the dish from side to side, you are also changing the elevation.

<hr></blockquote>

This is the most important thing I have found with EV. Check the pole at the top where the dish mounts. 1 degree of error here can cause days of problems if not experienced. I learned this the hard way.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Before it was Echostar 110. Yesterday it was Echostar 119W.

As for the vertical...sigh...

**DONOTDELETE**
07-25-2002, 07:09 PM
Go east to get back to the 110.

From there you are only an inch of two out.

If you are having no problems in picking up 110, your verticle should be just fine.

Arthur
07-25-2002, 08:07 PM
119 is way lower in the arc, 110 was close but you went down and the wrong direction to get to 119.

Go up and to the left.

SatMike
07-25-2002, 08:12 PM
"Up and to the left" from behind the dish.

Skyway
07-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Before any one could tell you what to do to get from 110/119 to Nimiq they would need to know where you are located...

**DONOTDELETE**
07-25-2002, 09:37 PM
What difference does his location make?

Nimiq will still be just slightly EAST of 110.

It makes no difference if you are in BC, Nfld, Florida or California.

Grunge
07-25-2002, 09:52 PM
mikealex is correct. Couple weeks ago my neighbour at the lake moved in a big new park model right in front of me. I was able to still pick up EchoStar but had to move my dish to pick up Nimiq.

Skyway
07-25-2002, 10:24 PM
His/Her location would indicate if He/She needs to raise or lower the dish and how much...

If located in the east Nimiq is higher than either of the dishnet satellites..

If located in the West Nimiq is lower than the dishnetwork satellites..

If we get the location we can tell him exactly how much to lower or raise the dish and how many degrees to move the dish in a eastern direction...

Arthur
07-25-2002, 10:37 PM
his post on another forum

"Ok here's another question I've tried asking the ExpressVu CSR. In the manual, it says the elevation is marked with a red line. That is, for Toronto (where I live) it's 38.3 (or 38.6, I forget). The little protractor-look-like behind the dish is supposed to be lined up with a red line on the thingy (sorry for these technical terms). "

I say again up and to the left /forums/images/icons/wink.gif it was there the last I checked /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Skyway
07-26-2002, 12:42 AM
OK, If sketcher is in Toronto and He has his Bell dish pointed at Dishnetwork 119, He needs to raise the dish 12.2 degrees and swing it 33.5 degrees further to the East..

If sketcher has his Bell dish pointed at Dishnetwork 110, He needs to raise the dish 7.2 degrees and swing it 24.0 degrees further to the East..

If my calculations are correct??

Anyone want to double check my numbers??

Arthur
07-26-2002, 01:20 AM
If he can find 119 and 110 with little trouble I have to wonder if he has a clear line of site to 91.

If you kicked the dish around the yard as long as he has been trying you think you would hit Nimiq at least once.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Nimiq91 and I will be announcing our engagement soon...

Yes, I did finally get the signal. Only 80% but that's it for me for now in trying to get more. I'm just happy to be fortunate to have ANYthing that's not EchoStar /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I followed everyone's advice about up and to the left (I'm in Toronto by the way. Sorry that I forgot to mention that!) but still no signal. Then my father, who was helping me and studied geometry in University way back when, started doing geometry and insisted on trying something else. Well, the moment he touched the dish BANG! 50% ExpressVu. So THAT'S what green looks like!

Thanks for all your help peoples!

Arthur
07-26-2002, 02:33 PM
Is Nimiq still up and to the left of the echostar sats in Toronto or did they move it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
07-26-2002, 03:55 PM
Actually, it turns out that it kept hiding everytime I moved the dish towards it's direction. Luckily, I had my binoculars on and saw the bugger. So I yanked it back to the upper left of the EchoStars and tied it there with a band-aid.