PDA

View Full Version : StarChoice Question

starchoice
07-02-2002, 03:12 AM
I've got both systems. The StarChoice system has been problem-free. I've had it a few years and originally had a single LNB so could only get one line, one receiver. I upgraded to a dual LNB since I wanted to add a second receiver. I had an installer do it as it got quite confusing when I was researching it with different LNBs available, etc. Anyways, my question is with respect to adding a third receiver. I have what's referred to as a dual LNB (I think) and I'm not sure how this differs from a "stacked" one. Basically, I have two cables from the dish so each cable goes to a separate receiver (straightforward). What I'd like to know is what is required for adding a third receiver. Does it require a different LNB? I don't believe this one has any additional outlets for cables. Can the signal be split somehow? If so, where does the split occur? Any info. would be appreciated.

Skyway
07-02-2002, 03:26 AM
You can purchase a 4way multi switch which will allow you to add a 3rd and 4th receiver..

http://www.kusat.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=14_23&products_id=75

http://www.kusat.com/catalog/images/multiswitch-4.jpg

Or what might be a better solution would be to call Starchoice and tell them you want to upgrade your dish for dual sat capability and pay the $99.95 to have them provide and install the new Eliptical Quad dish...

This dish has 4 outputs...You can run the cable for your third receiver yourself..

This will put you on the SSP so you won't have to pay for future service calls or moves...

starchoice
07-02-2002, 01:57 PM
I considered the elliptical dish when I upgraded to the dual LNB but it is a rip-off because I can't use my 421B with the elliptical dish. I'm not prepared to put the 421B to pasture since it was the upper end unit at time of purchase and would be expensive to replace with today's comparable. I confirmed the incompatibility of the 421B with the elliptical dish both with a couple of installlers and StarChoice.

Bent
07-02-2002, 02:24 PM
...actually you can use a 421b with a elliptical, either tandem dual non-stacked and 4in/4 out multiswitch, or dual quad with the inclusion of a TGL(TLG?)-100 tone generator which is available from our hosts for just a bit more than a few peanuts. (dual stacked can even work, but you have to also add in a "subscriber unit", or more comonly known as a down converter.)
this will provide the 22 KHz tone for switching between satellites.

If I were you I would confirm this with your chosen installers, because I fear they have not informed you correctly.

starchoice
07-03-2002, 01:08 AM
Well, when you don't have the knowledge, you rely on the expertise of installers and when a couple tell you the same thing, you just have to believe them. What is aggravating is that when I checked with StarChoice, the rep. checked with a technician who confirmed the incompatibility. I ask you, if you can't get the correct information from the horse's mouth, who can you get it from?

Can you tell me what the differenece is between stacked and non-stacked and how do I know which I have?

Can the 4-way multi-switch be used with either and is this switch installed in the house or at the dish?

Bent
07-03-2002, 12:52 PM
....Difference between stacked and non-stacked - a stacked lnb sends horizontal and vertical polarities down the co-ax at the same time, non stacked doesn't, it sends either at one time (not both) and relies on voltage switching to change from horizontal to vertical output.

Physically, the stacked lnb is cylindrical,approx, 8 inches long, with a single co-ax connector at the end. A non stacked lnb can be either L shaped, or cylindrical approx. 5 inches long with one or two co-ax connectors at the end. Also, you could have a non- stacked in either of the dual-quad designs (which are self explanitory)
If your receiver has been enabled correctly, there is a line in the options 6-4 screen (line K) that indicates the channel maps that you have been asigned, (national stacked, regional stacked, regional non-stacked, etc.) try a seach on this forum for what the Network Data Status (line K) is that applies to your reciever/lnb/location and yuo'll find out what kind of lnb Starchoice thinks you have. this may or may not be correct, and a decent CSR will help you out with it. (however the CSR wait time is a bit high right now.)

I know I may not have answered all your questions, but I'm sure that this may have helped.

Bent
07-03-2002, 03:32 PM
sorry to go wandering so far off the topic of your original question, I re-read the whole thread, and if your LNB has two wires coming from it (and isn't shaped like two beer cans in a Y configuration), then it is a dual out non-stacked lnb and if you want to add a third receiver, you would be bes suited to buy a complete new system with a new daul quad-elliptical and either a 401 (on clearance), a 405, or even a 305. All you would need to do is run a third cable to the third reciever (but I'd pull a 4th too, just for the heck of it) and add a TGL-100 tone generator to the 421b to get dual sat rception (you don't need to if all you want is single sat. reception.) I appoligize for coming across as a snot, but most installers don't have to deal with us enthusiasts, so our questions are easilly overwhelming to them.

starchoice
07-04-2002, 05:00 AM
Thanks for all your help. You didn't come across as a snot although I've had that experience.

One last question: if my LNB is non-stacked, would it be correct that the 4 way multi-switch would not work, that is, it only works on a stacked LNB configuration?

OneTomcat
07-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Actually, I believe the multiswitch only works with a non-stacked LNB.....the stacked LNB uses a splitter type configuration

Bent
07-04-2002, 02:34 PM
there is a 4 way multi switch that will work with a dual output single lnb (I can't remember the model number)

There is also a 4 way multi switch for use with a dual stacked as well, (simply refered to as a 4X4 multiswitch)

but if you are seriously looking at new receiver as well as multi-sat reception, it is a no brainer to go for the new package deal, 250 bucks maximum is what you'd pay for a 401 (maybe even a 405) complete with a new 65e dish and a dual quad lnb. This would mean that you would only need a tone generator for your 421b (about 35 bucks), no extra connections at multiswitches, no extra crimps to fail, and only one or two more cables to pull.

dishguy
07-05-2002, 04:02 PM
I have a couple of sigle stacked LNBFs laying around and a few 3 and 4 way High frequency splitters around as well.

You pay the shipping and one is yours.

That's all you need if you are only looking for single sat reception.

email me at killbery@kmts.ca if you are interested