PDA

View Full Version : ExpressVu Problem

starchoice
07-02-2002, 03:03 AM
I used to have a Dish system (black market). I switched to a BEV receiver. The BEV people told me that I could do this and just re-point my dish. I did this. Every now and then, I get a "lost signal". Yesterday, this happened while flipping channels. It went to a "lost signal" immediately upon flipping to "last channel". When I check the signal strength, the signal is not even "locked" (all red - no signal). It's not a weather thing and there are no obstructions. It seems to happen usually around midnight. Eventually (5-20 minutes), it comes back and then no more problems. This has happened no more than once each 24 hour period but even this estimation is probably exaggerated. My old dish was from a Dish 500 system so it has the 2 LNBs with a multi-switch. I don't know if this is relative to the problem. I would think that if the signal strength was weak, the problem would occur more frequently to account for the complete loss of signal (not locked). Again, this has happened on clear nights so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the equipment (Dish 500 to BEV). Has anyone ever heard of this?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-02-2002, 05:00 AM
It could be a week signal. What is your signal strength normally at?

dlg
07-02-2002, 05:42 AM
With the dish 500 you will be using only one half of your dish to access express vu. Acquiring satellite signal will show up when you access certain channels that are on the weaker transponders. However, one must remember if your satellite is acting up in relationship to "time" then the possibility of some outside interference could be the problem.

starchoice
07-02-2002, 02:06 PM
I thought about this too. On the Dish 500, there is one cable from each LNB going to what looks like a splitter and then branching off into one cable at the other end. I tried to do a direct connect by removing one of the cables coming off the LNBs (tried both cables) but for some rason if both cables (off the LNBs) are nut plugged into this splitter type thing, I can't get any signal which seems odd if only half the dish is being utilized. Do you know why this would be?

starchoice
07-02-2002, 02:08 PM
By the way, I don't get the "Acquiring Satellite Signal". Channel reception and switching is seamless.

starchoice
07-02-2002, 02:14 PM
My signal is about 70%. I have a (I think) 90 cm. dish (larger than most SC and BEV). I can't get it any better despite numerous tries. My dish is situated close to my SC so I think it's in a fairly good spot. If it was a weak signal problem, it would seem logical that the complete drop-out would occur during times like bad weather or that I would get the pixels occasionally showing a signal drop-out but it zaps out entirely for a few minutes and then returns without problem. Could it be an LNB problem?

dlg
07-03-2002, 03:15 AM
Well I have no idea why, when conected indendently and directly to one of the lnbs that you do not get a signal. The sw-21 splitter/switch that you have it connected too does not have to be in the line for either one of the lnbs to work one at a time. Could it be that you have the dish centered on the satellite between the two lnbs and getting weak signal from both of them to create some sort of illusion of a strong signal when hooked up together. Try repeaking with only one lnb and no switch. Other than that you will need a tech to test voltages to isolate what is really going on. Would probably be easier just to get a express vu dish and start over from scratch.

starchoice
07-07-2002, 03:49 AM
This seems to be pure genius. I haven't tried it yet mostly because I'm tired of standing on my ladder but I will. Is it really possible that the signal is going to both LNBs? It makes sense since when I attach either one of the LNB cables from the dish directly to the cable going to the receiver, it does not work.

What I'm wondering is that since there is a switch for the Dish 500, doesn't this only allow one LNB to receive the signal since the purpose of the LNB is to receive signals from two different satellites?

Also, just to get a better understanding of this, for the Dish 500 or StarChoice elliptical, how is the dish aimed and adjusted for 2 different satellites? It would seem to me that if you got one in line, the other would be off.

Gord
07-07-2002, 02:47 PM
On the dish 500 when you install it on Dishnet the IRD tells you to hook up to the 119 LNB directly and get a good signal there, at that point you install the switch and turn the skew to the appopriate number and 110 should line right up.

To use for Bell do not use the switch at all as the Bell ird wont send any signal to control it.

Just set the dish like a normal 18" dish and make sure the skew is at 0. And use the 119 lnb position with no switch and you should be good to go.

starchoice
07-08-2002, 01:33 AM
OK, I need to ask a couple of dumb questions. What is "skew" and where is the switch located (what does it look like)?

Gord
07-08-2002, 02:36 AM
Skew on the dish 500 is adjusted on the back (picture turning the dish as you would a sterring wheel). There is I think 4 bolts that you loosen and then the dish will turn like a wheel, just set it so the pointer/mark is at 0.

The switch lookes just like a 1 in 2 out splitter, just remove it and connect the ird to the 119 lnb directly. The switch could be at the dish as mine is or located downstream, Follow the wire you will find it.

Any other questions just post and I'll help if I can.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-03-2002, 02:01 AM
Hmmm....OK, if one is using a Dish 500 to hit ExpressVu from, say, Central Texas, where should the skew be set? What we've got here is a single LNB on the 119 slot with nothing on 110. No sw21s to worry with either. Right now, the skew is set on 90 and we'll grab a signal as high as 40-50, but then it will disappear.

Now...how is THAT possible? When I peaked my own BEV dish (a single LNB, 60cm) either you had it...or you didn't!