PDA

View Full Version : 5100 Fan problem

Psykob
06-13-2002, 06:17 PM
I have my 5100 since september 2001. Since the last month, the back fan of the 5100 make more noise then normal.

It's possible to change myself the fan? I opened the 5100 yesterday and I saw that is a small fan with 3pin connector like a computer..

When I call Expressvu the customer service representative said that is normal that the fan make some noise. but this is the first time in 1 year it make this sound.. it's not normal.. it's a deffective sound.. (like a HD read/write and I hear it and I am at 10feet of my receiver) and when I stop the fan with my finger, the sound stop too..

Help me.. argh!
sorry for my english /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

PlusONE
06-14-2002, 01:11 AM
well I've had my PVR since this may. And I hear the fan all the time. it's not really loud but i've gotten used to the sound.

LetsGoRedWings
06-14-2002, 05:05 AM
My PVR was as quiet as can be, but since the last upgrade (E344) my PVR is very noisy!

ARGH!

**DONOTDELETE**
06-14-2002, 01:04 PM
I noticed the same thing on mine. It's not very noisy,
it's just that the fan is on all the time.

Psykob
06-14-2002, 02:57 PM
But mine is very noisy, it make a sound like "grrsshh" every 2-3 seconds.. I know that a fan make some noise.. but not this kind of noise!! it's a deffective sound.. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I will take a new fan in an electronics shop and I will replace it myself... Expressvu do not want to help me.. and it's not the first time.

Gord
06-14-2002, 04:23 PM
You said in the first post that you opened the 5100 up.

Why should they help you now??

Psykob
06-14-2002, 06:19 PM
I opened it after Expressvu said they do not help me..

Gord
06-14-2002, 06:42 PM
Psykob I didn't mean that as it probably sounded. All the power to you if you find a quieter fan(and if you do, other owners might like to know how to change it).

However I was at future shop today and someone was trying to exchange a 5100, they opened it up to inspect it and found he tried to put a larger drive in, as he didnt put all the screws back in and he couldn't explain. they would not take it back as the case had been opened so he left in a huff and now owns a 600$ paperweight. My guess is his next step is to try Bell and see if they will exchange it. In the end he'll probably get a new unit from bell as I dought they check them over very well when returned.

It is just amazing what people will try to pull off, And in the end it costs us all.

Psykob
06-14-2002, 08:17 PM
I understand, but it's not a normal noise you know. it's a defective fan, and no one wants to help me at expressvu, I have no choice to open it. (I dont break the seal in the receiver, do you know that the 5100 have only 1 seal? it's on the harddrive).. So, I will come back with the results next week, I will try to change the fan..

PlusONE
06-14-2002, 11:19 PM
you probably can get a quieter fan from a computer shop. I don't know if you could hook it up to the PVR. Worth to look into.

mikealex
06-15-2002, 12:10 AM
If it is a standard 3-pin computer fan, likely a 50mm, then you can try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.quietpc.ca>http://www.quietpc.ca</a> to get a quiet one.