PDA

View Full Version : StarChoice E-dish Grounding

RUU
05-31-2002, 01:57 PM
What's the latest on grounding requirements for these dishes? I recall some posts previously saying that since the dish itself is plastic, it didn't need to be grounded. What about the LNB and the mount?
Reason I ask is we just had the 1st major lightning storm of the season last night & the 1st since I had to move the dish higher up the roof line to see boths sats. The original (professional) installer had not put a ground wire on the single sat install, but it was well below the peak of the roof at that point.
Is a ground wire going to protect the receivers from lightning or is it just going to turn the dish into a lightning rod? Thanks.

Skyway
05-31-2002, 03:14 PM
This is an involved topic..

This gets discussed here from time to time...(you could try a search) There have been references on this forum to a realy good file that describes all the pros and cons of grounding etc..

Its involved and full of debate..

The people with the most knowledge on the topic probably are not too interested in debating it...

But here are a few points to consider...

Grounding is a requirement of your local building code and can be different in any given area...You could call your local building inspector to get a definitive answer for your area (but that could also open up a can of worms).

Most building codes regarding this were established a long time ago for large masted off-air antennas and 8 - 10ft dishes..

There are 2 purposes to grounding the system:

1. Grounding of the coax for static discharge.

2. Grounding of the mast for lightning strikes.

Most will not debate that the grounding of the coax is beneficial, especially in dryer climates that are more likely to cause a static build up in your system...(although some will debate that this ground block does add some signal loss and more possibility of problems from leaking connections, lack of sheilding etc..and that inproperly grounding the system could be more dangerous than not grounding at all)

Starchoice's policy regarding grounding is to follow building code for your area...Which in most municipalities in BC are not requiring the mast to be grounded...after all it is a plastic dish...As far as I am aware in most/all locations grounding the coax is required and Starchoice wants the coax grounded...

RUU
05-31-2002, 03:41 PM
Thanks Skyway. No grounding was done on my system originally (though it was passed through a surge protector with sat. coax in/out). Can I ground the coax by running a wire from my multi-switch (dual-stacked) to my cold water pipe (which my electrical box is also grounded to)? & what guage wire? I guess I was mostly concerned with whether a strike to the metal casing of the LNB was a possibilty/probability. Thanks.

Skyway
05-31-2002, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it but starchoice does not want the system to be grounded from the switch..

The recommendation for the location of a ground block is close to were the coax enters the building..

It is OK to ground to the water pipe assuming it is copper at least 4-6 feet down into the ground. Newer homes could have copper coming out of the ground with a plastic main feeding it ... The gauge required will be either 12 or 14 depending on your local building code...

If you are on the Simple Satellite Plan, you should be able to call Starchoice and have them send somebody out to do it as a FREE service call...

dlg
06-01-2002, 03:37 PM
If grounding the mast is not necessarily a requirement then why do the csr's keep asking if it is grounded externally or internally? This would imply that they are still requiring the mast to be grounded on all simple satellite installations.

Skyway
06-01-2002, 04:10 PM
No, They are asking if you used a ground rod in the installation or grounded to an existing source of ground..

They pay more to the installer if it needs to be an external ground (installer needs to provide ground rod)

dlg
06-01-2002, 08:03 PM
So let me get this clear. Your interpetation of the grounding requirment at this time for simple satellite is that the question posed by the csr's is related to the grounding of the coax and not the system by way of #6 ground wire attached to the mast.

Skyway
06-01-2002, 08:56 PM
It's not my interpretation...

It is the requirements as set out through discussions at the training seminars provided by starchoice...and the faxed instructions..

The claim forms ask if the grounding type is Standard or External, not internel or external...this information is used to determine if they need to pay an installer for providing a ground rod...

dlg
06-01-2002, 11:25 PM
I realize that. Being as the subject was brought up I thought I would get another opinion as to what was being done in the field. I know the forms say Standard/external, however the point I was making is that the csr's still ask Internal or external, making me second guess wether or not they are refering to the mast and how it is grounded to the dewelling. Now, however, puting a little more thought into the subject I guess either terminology could apply to both the coax grounding block or antenna mast. You are right, the bottom line is wether or not a grounding rod was used. Cheers.